Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New to musky - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Icedog

Default New to musky

I have been an avid fisherman for years but just getting into Musky fishing. For rods and reels can I get by with Heavy bass stuff? A rod that handles lures to two ounces with fifty pound test line (typically a 7' baitcaster) could be used for bass applications also.

I did purchase a FIg Rig extreme with Pflueger trion 66 for a starter rod. What do you know about them? Are they sensitive? It is a 7' Med, Line = 25-50, Lure= 3/4 to 3oz.

Let me Know.

ICEDOG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Minnow

Default RE: New to musky

sensitive has no bearing for Musky. You need a much heavier rod, not because your rod wont handle the fish, but because most Musky baits are 4-8OZ and will stress or break your rod.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Wallhanger

I would recommend a 7'6" med-hvy to hvy or 8' the same a 6500 c-3 abu w/80# tuff line to start, a med rod will work for some spinners but the problem is control when you hook a hog you need to maintain pressure which can get a bit tricky, you do'nt want to lose the fish of a life time, even more important is nets tools, get a good net like a stowmaster, a mini bolt cutter and a long handle pliers, camera ready so you ar'nt diggin around lookin, remember let them go so I can get her too, a pair of fishing gloves also comes in handy, good luck see ya on the water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2005, 11:41 AM
anonymous

As for the bolt cutter, I bought a $15 pair that did not last a year. Now I own a pair of Knipex side cutters and there is no comparison. Will cut through most everything even with one hand. So don't cut corners on the cutters.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:40 PM
MLK

>>So don't cut corners on the cutters.<<

Amen.

I always thought the $15 general purpose type would be satisfactory and they were for quite a while. Last summer while on a trip with my son to Lac Seul, my general purpose cutters broke on the last fish of the trip. I couldn't help but think about how different our trip could have been had they broken on the first fish or even more importantly, should we have needed them to extract ourselves from a foul hooked musky after they had broken. My absolute first purchase when I returned from that trip was a pair of Knipex cobalt compound cutters. $50 - expensive say some (me included before my cheaper pair broke) - not anymore they aren't. The price of about two quality musky baits is cheap enough when put into proper perspective.

Cheers and tight lines,
Musky Mike