Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Front tires jumping on dual axle.. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 09-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Minnow

Default Front tires jumping on dual axle..

I bought a new rig a couple weeks ago and have noticed that the front tires of the dual axle trailer tend to jump or bounce causing the boat and accessories to shake a bit..
Should I look into raising the hitch or lowering? As of right now, the trailer looks to be sitting fairly even hooked up to the truck..

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Wallhanger

Better get the tires balanced.. as a precaution. Bad balance is the main reason for jump.

If the front tires can actually leave the road surface a hitch is either way too high or the trailer axles are way too far forward...or both.
Since it sounds like yours is setting pretty level hitch-wise...all that's left is weight distribution (axle location) and balance.
The dealer will make this right on a new rig.

Last edited by T Mac; 09-12-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

In addition to T macs excellent comment on balance, have the tires checked to see if they are round.

Trailer tires in particular, since they don't have to meet the same standards as auto or truck tires may be out of round. A tire that is not round will jump badly, even if it is balanced.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/assets/d...ance_12803.pdf

REW

Last edited by REW; 09-12-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Wallhanger

Don't guess if you are traveling level.

Hitch the trailer to the tow vehicle and check it with a level. With a tandem, it's Very important you are near perfect,otherwise the load is not balanced evenly and whatever axle is taking most of it is likely leading to an overloaded condition on it.

If the hitch is too high,the rear axle will be overloaded. If too low the front will be overloaded.

If the front tires are being allowed to bounce ,if it's a level problem it would likely be the hitch is too high and the load has been pivoted toward the rear.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the replies guys..
Looking more closely now I've realized it's just the driver side front tire on the dual that's taking a beating. The outside tread is basically bare now and the middle tread looks to be bulging outward and the tire needs to be replaced..
Mark, what is the best way to check to ensure it's level? Same trailer height all throughout the trailer?

Thanks..

P.S It's not a brand new rig, just new to me.

Last edited by lund1825; 09-13-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Its really simple to check for a level trailer.
Put a level on the ground and verify that the vehicle and trailer is sitting on level ground.

Put a level on the frame of the trailer.
When I use the term - frame of the trailer, I am suggesting that you put the level on a part of the trailer that is designed to be sitting parallel to the ground when the trailer is being used. Obviously don't put the level on one of the supports that are angled and going to support the boats hull.

Adjust the height of the hitch so that the level is sitting at center bubble.

Take care
REW
Old 09-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Its really simple to check for a level trailer.
Put a level on the ground and verify that the vehicle and trailer is sitting on level ground.

Put a level on the frame of the trailer.
When I use the term - frame of the trailer, I am suggesting that you put the level on a part of the trailer that is designed to be sitting parallel to the ground when the trailer is being used. Obviously don't put the level on one of the supports that are angled and going to support the boats hull.

Adjust the height of the hitch so that the level is sitting at center bubble.

Take care
REW
I really think this is overkill

anything you put in the truck including passengers or stuff in the bed is going to make that bubble in the level move. Even the level of fuel in the truck may change it ever so slightly

So unless you adjust your height everytime you change your load the bubble will read different

just make it close. Thats all I do.

never a problem!

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:08 PM
ltd

Weigh the rig as it sits on trailer on D.O.T hwy scales and get a receipt. Tongle weight should be 7.5%. If it doesn't, it will create all kind of issues: squirrely trailering, vibration, uneventire wear, etc. etc.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchjerker View Post
I really think this is overkill

anything you put in the truck including passengers or stuff in the bed is going to make that bubble in the level move. Even the level of fuel in the truck may change it ever so slightly

So unless you adjust your height everytime you change your load the bubble will read different

just make it close. Thats all I do.

never a problem!
+1. Also if the tandem axle trailer has springs the center spring hanger is a equalizer. It`s called that for a reason because it equalizes the load between the axles when the trailer is not level. It only needs to be close. Wiredog
Old 03-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Wallhanger

3 yrs of event tire wear on my trailer. Then all of sudden the outside edge of one tire started to wear. I must have hit a bad bump or hole in the road. The axle had moved back about 1/8th of an inch on one side. I measured from the rear of the frame to the spring support, made both sides the same. Now the tires are wearing even again. The axle needs to be perpendicular to the frame.