Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I Really Don't Like Water Snakes - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2015, 12:15 PM
Wallhanger

Default I Really Don't Like Water Snakes

Last summer's fishing trip was a wet and cold one in Ontario. It's not unusual for us to see snakes, but we saw way more than usual. I really don't care for them. I mean I really don't, especially after that stay. I'll bet I saw 50 snakes. This picture is poor quality but check out this group of monsters we caught trying to warm up. By the time we snapped this a couple had already crawled away. That was the end of the swimming for me as this was about 100' from our dock. I imagine the cold weather caused them to ball up. I admit, when it comes to snakes I'm a *****.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8711.jpg
Views:	1255
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	138362  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

My wife has a snake phobia. For years I had her convinced that there were no snakes in Canada until she saw the camp lawn mower with squiggly lines painted on it and she asked the camp worker what those were and he told her that it was how they kept count of the snakes they had mowed over. She freaked out and now it's tough to get her to go back with me. Everywhere she looks she sees snakes whether they are real or not.

Snakes are fine as long as they don't surprise a person like when bailing hay or cleaning out junk.

Your photo would send my wife packing in a cold sweat and tachycardia.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 03-18-2015, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

I'm lucky my older brothers took me snake hunting when I was a toddler. I dont have a fear of them and will readily pick them up. I have no experience with poisonous snakes though but I think I would handle one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 01:43 PM
Wallhanger

I spend some time in the summer fishing in Kansas. They have some horridly big snakes down there that swim fast! Have had a number of instances of them trying to climb in the boat while we are fishing. That will get your big girl panties wet! Have also found a couple in the boat too when getting ready to launch. Hate the snakes, but I get past it all in do time after the incident.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Wallhanger

A couple of years ago I was cutting my grass with the riding mower when it really started to vibrate funny. I stopped to see if I was tangled up in something. Here it was about a 5 foot long Pine snake caught up in the mower blades I never even saw it. It was dead by then of course, kind of gave me the Willy's. I'm not afraid of snakes but I don't like them either.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

My friend had several pet rattlers. While messing with them one day, he got bit. Although he made it to the hospital, the bite ended up being fatal. Not all snake stories turn out good.

Bill
Old 03-18-2015, 03:44 PM
Wallhanger

I'm conviced God invented the shovel the day after he created the snake because he realized he screwed up.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGPopp View Post
I'm conviced God invented the shovel the day after he created the snake because he realized he screwed up.
Same reason He invented the gaff, so you could kill those scary musky before they eat all the walleye.

Kidding. Kidding.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:44 PM
Wallhanger

1. One of the funniest Dirty Jobs I have watched was when Mike went out on the shores with a biologist to study Lake Erie Water Snakes. I laughed my butt off!

2. I have a friend that has a true phobia of snakes. One time, while at his cabin, he had to use the outhouse. Finally we noticed that he was gone quite a while. Someone looked out the window and he was standing in the yard mid stride.
a snake had slithered off in front of him and he locked up. Couldn't move. He must have been standing there for 15-20 minutes frozen in fear.
Its funny as heck and kinda sad too.
Patient and watchful, nor denies
Any by reason of its size.

And I too, on some careless day,
Shall feel the hook I had not guessed;
And shall try to break away,
And go, after brief protest,
Into the basket, with all the rest.

-Robert Bell
Old 03-18-2015, 08:25 PM
Slot Fish

Default Ontario Snakes

I do not think they have any poisonous snakes in Ontario...so fear not!