Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund Pro Sport Questions - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Slot Fish

Default Lund Pro Sport Questions

I'm looking at purchasing a 1999 Lund Pro Sport with a 90hp Honda? The boat looks to be in good condition. Wondering if there is anything that I should look at. I'm fairly certain that it hasn't been beat. Also what is a fair price for this rig. How do they compare to a Fisherman or Tyee?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver97 View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a 1999 Lund Pro Sport with a 90hp Honda? The boat looks to be in good condition. Wondering if there is anything that I should look at. I'm fairly certain that it hasn't been beat. Also what is a fair price for this rig. How do they compare to a Fisherman or Tyee?
I had a 1700 with a 90 merc on it. Wish I had a bigger motor, I think max out at 115. I always called my pro sport the poor mans pro v. My was fully functional for my use. I know it's a safe enough boat to handle most lakes I fished. This boat does not compare to the Fisherman or Tyee.

I don't know what's all on that boat but I sold my without kicker for $10,000 to someone I knew. My was fully loaded too.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Keeper

What length? We looked at a 1600 last year and it is a pretty tight boat inside. Not much room or much for storage. When I put the seat in the front casting deck, you could not get back through the windshield without stepping over the seat. This one also had a 90 Honda on the back and was a 2000 and they were asking 10,500 for it (very clean).

The 1700 would be much larger, but may be under powered with just a 90 on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Minnow

I have a 2001 1700 pro sport with a 90 merc 4 stroke with ss prop. The boat will run with two guys and all the fishing gear WOT 40mph. The only thing I don't like about mine is the small fuel tank, and rod storage sucks. Turn one of the livewells in the back into storage. Good boat, I paid 10,000 for it a few years ago.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:11 AM
Keeper

My last boat was a 1700 Fisherman with a Yamaha F80 and a T8 kicker. It ran 36 mph all of the time, a little faster with just me in it and jumped up on plane without any issues. Unless you are going to be running with a very heavy load, or pulling skier's, I wouldn't worry about the 90 on it.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Minnow

Had a 98 1700 w/115 merc for 12 years.Did 43 with 3 guys and gear.Great boat.Small enough for shallow lakes and big enough for Lake of the Woods.Took some pretty big waves there.Start checking screws on the interior,especially the windshield.If their loose,it's either neglect or it has been well used from pounding.Plastic dash's were known to crack.Mine we replaced and cracked again.Super light boat so you feel the waves but it took them with ease.Great for skiing/tubing.Could run hard all weekend on a tank of gas.I sold mine for $9250(which was too cheap),but I wanted my new boat bad.It was in extremely well taken care of too.Over all,a great,light boat that can do "almost" everything a small boat should do.The only thing is I personally would not want a 90hp on the back!Good luck
Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver97 View Post
The Pro Sport used to be the Tyee ll before they changed the name to Pro Sport. The Tyee ll is just what it sounds like. A smaller version of the Tyee. So with that in mind the Pro Sport is basically a smaller more economical version of the Tyee.

I had a 1992 Tyee ll with a 115 Yamaha on the back (16'3" long, 80" beam, 975# hull). It had a mediocre hole shot and would run 45-46 MPH at WOT. I would think with a 90 hp that thing would be a dog.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 03-30-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Wallhanger

We sold a lot of 1700 Pro Sports.
Good boat for the money.
Those old 90 Hondas were reliably, a good motor ... but definitely no "racehorse".
Old 03-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Slot Fish

This will be my first boat... well I have a 82 Lund Pike on permanent loan. I have a trailer home on lake oahe and would like to be able to fish NE SD also.

It seems that no one has any major complaints of the Honda other than possibly underpowered. I also pull alot of crankbaits and although I realize a 9.9 would be ideal it's simple not an option. Will the 90 troll down to 2.0 or so?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Keeper

I bought a '99 1700 with a 115 Merc elpto in the summer of 1998, still have it. For things to check, as mentioned, check for cracking in the consoles, particularly where they're attached to the boat with screws. If there is mild cracking, that isn't necessarily a deal breaker - a couple years ago, with some cracking in mine, I had the plastic repaired by the guys who repair used car dashboards and trim for the used car lots. Cost a couple hundred or so, and the repairs have been solid (included their attempt at painting to match).

Likewise, as mentioned, windshield where mounted to consoles and gunnels. Again, what comes loose can be tightened.

For troller batteries, I put two optima agm's under the port console for my 24v Terrova - that's a tight fit, but it'll work, and leaves the space open under the starboard console. There is also enough room under there for a three bank Guest charger, which I have. I'd go with a big agm cranking battery too - where the cranking battery is located in the ProSport, it's a real pain to get at to maintain a flooded cell battery, and you'll like the agm better anyway.

As one other poster mentioned, it works well to use one livewell for storage, and the other as a livewell. I had the pumps changed so the livewell pump and the bilge pump take the same cartridge, and carry a spare that'll then work for either. As to the storage livewell, if you wish, in addition to a tool box, it'll hold a 3 gallon Merc tank, with hose and squeeze bulb. I've been glad to have it there more than a couple times over the years.

The center glass in the windshield will blow shut in a big wind - I made a tether - I used a very short nylon strap screwed to windshield, with snap, and put a snap on the front console, so that I could "snap it open" to hold it open on windy days.

I had no-feedback steering installed on mine a few years back (about $600) - that's been a real nice addition.

Mine's been a great rig for our use - I've dragged it to Canada a dozen times or so, the high freeboard was great when the kids were little, and still is nice. It fishes two guys real well, and is fine for more, tubing, skiing, etc. I get about 40 mph gps with steel 20" Merc Laser.

Well, there's $0.02 from the Heartland.

John

Last edited by John N; 03-31-2012 at 06:01 AM.