Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mr. Heater - Big Buddy Heater it states on box Approved & Designed for Indoor Use -- - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 12-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Minnow

Default Mr. Heater - Big Buddy Heater it states on box Approved & Designed for Indoor Use --

Did a search, many are older 2012, etc never did get an answer.--- are they safe in a tent type fish house with flap partially opened etc.....

The 2016 heater has a max. 18,000 btu output ----- if these are not safe for indoor use, then are there propane heaters other than an electric heater & gasoline generator on the market that are safe for a portable ice fishing house tent.....

Thanks,

New One

Last edited by New One; 12-10-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2016, 01:35 PM
Wallhanger

Approve by who? Maybe the mfr has a spec sheet (not advertising -sales material) that says who tested it and survived.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:14 PM
Minnow

https://www.google.com/#q=+who+certi...as+Association).

Certified by CSA International (American Gas Association),

CSA certified Indoor safe in 48 states (not California, Massachusetts or Canada)

The Most Popular Portable Propane Heater in North America. This patented radiant 4,000-18,000 BTU Liquid Propane heater connects directly to two 1 lb. cylinders and is the perfect solution for heating enclosed spaces like cabins up to 450 sq. ft. An integrated fan increases the heating capacity of this unit, blending radiant and convection style heat to give you the best of both worlds. Two swivel regulators give you the ability to adapt usage from disposable cylinders to a remote gas supply with the purchase of a single hose and filter. To light the unit, simply push and rotate the knob. The built in Piezo sparking mechanism will take care of the rest. With the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) and accidental tip-over safety shut-off, you can be sure that you will enjoy years of comfortable indoor safe heat.
    • 4,000, 9,000, or 18,000 BTU per hour
    • For use with propane gas
    • Heats up to 450 sq. ft.
    • Single control start knob
    • Hi-Med-Low heat settings
    • Swivel regulators
    • Automatic low oxygen shut-off system (ODS)
    • Accidental tip-over safety shut-off
    • Connects to two 1 lb. cylinders
    • Connects to a 20 lb. cylinder with optional hose
    • Fan operates on 4 - D batteries or AC adapter, both sold separately
    • THE USE OF UN-AUTHORIZED ACCESSORIES/ATTACHMENTS WITH THIS HEATER ARE EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED, MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY, AND WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2016, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Like any fuel-burning heating appliance, it needs fresh air to "breath". Minimum 18 in2 of window or flap opening.

HRG

from the owners manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Buddy.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	235617  
Old 12-10-2016, 03:34 PM
Minnow

Hot Runr Guy,

Very Good, Sir ---- and Thank You! I will get the manual, read-it, and follow-it....

New One
Old 12-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by New One View Post
Did a search, many are older 2012, etc never did get an answer.--- are they safe in a tent type fish house with flap partially opened etc.....

The 2016 heater has a max. 18,000 btu output ----- if these are not safe for indoor use, then are there propane heaters other than an electric heater & gasoline generator on the market that are safe for a portable ice fishing house tent.....

Thanks,

New One
Catalytic heaters are safer than the Buddies, but need a steady flow of oxygen in the shanty as well.

Wave currently makes catalytic heaters, used Coleman heaters are available on Ebay.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:58 PM
Wallhanger

I'd say that 95% if it's not higher of the people using portable shelters are Buddy heaters. I have a sunflower Mr. Heater and a Big Buddy for the heat in my shelter. I always keep the vents on the sides open and usually have the door flap open a few inches to a foot or more depending how warm the the outside temp is. These heaters usually pour out an excess of heat so you usually have to open up the door. As more and more people acquire the newer thermo insulated shelters Buddy heaters are becoming the heater of choice. There seems to be enough air leakage into the portables to add enough fresh air even without opening a vent or door. I guess you could asphyxiate yourself, but I've never heard of anyone doing it in a portable. Like anything you have to take precautions.

A insulated hard side fish house could be a different story if the doors and windows are tight and no outside air is allowed in. It seems like every year someone using these shelters dies or is hospitalized because of carbon monoxide caused by a heater not properly installed or with a defect.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Wallhanger

When I got my permanent shanty a few years ago, I wanted to experiment with my Buddy heater and carbon monoxide tester.

I plugged the two vent holes in ends of the shack (in the peaks). I put my Buddy heater on high inside with the carbon monoxide detector, and I burned a full 1 lb tank of propane.

I watched the detector through the window and it never registered anything. Tester was at "sleeping level" about 20" off floor.

Shanty is smallish (5' x 9'), and certainly not "airtight" even with the vents sealed off, but I was surprised to see that the detector never registered anything.

I have slept in the shack with the heater on high (connected to 20lb tank) and vents open. Detector has still never registered anything, but I would never use a heater in a permanent without one, but I think they are pretty clean burning units.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:05 PM
Wallhanger

Be safe. Alway have a fresh air source when running fish house heaters. Every winter here in the north somebody dies from CO poisoning because there wasn't enough fresh air.

andersaki
Old 12-17-2016, 04:00 PM
Wallhanger

Non vented gas burning heating devices are against building codes in many areas, there's a reason for that.

You can run one of these without problems if you're careful, but you're depending on a cheap sensor to keep you alive, not sure something I feel comfortable doing.

They need make up air or they will start making CO.

I use one when I am in my Clam, but not so sure I'd sleep with one going.

You get to make the choice.

Al