Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Entry into Canada update - Page 8 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickenb View Post
Thanks for the info.... I thought I would be able to get in with a exponged dui as well. But the question is it already imprinted in their system, or completely out of ours???? When I called the boarder number the lady told me it is totally up the the person at the gate. Also said that a expongement from the U.S is not honored in Canada. So any sign of the arrest or anything would be a strike against me. So even though I thought I would be able to cross, there was still a little nervousness. I'm glad to hear of the news as now I don't have to worry. This should be the start of a great thing for us one timers. (I know I learned a lesson). I have a hard time seeing it going backwards with what I would think to be a big boost in revenue.

An "arrest" by itself without any conviction does not make you inadmissible. A conviction (paying a fine, probation etc) DOES if it is an offence that IF committed in Canada would equate to an indictable offence (or hybrid). That being said...bring a criminal check that shows you have no convictions if you can. There are never any guarantees of getting into Canada as it's not your "right" unless you are a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or a Status Native CANADIAN (not American Indian etc). Those are the only people who enter by right.
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 11:43 AM
mike f

Default trp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../ob389.asp#see

"A public policy was recently approved with respect to the entry of foreign nationals (FNs) who are inadmissible on A36(2) criminality grounds. Specifically, the policy allows the grant of a one-time fee exemption for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) for certain offences, including offences such as driving while impaired (also known as driving under the influence (DUI))."

ok, I am having trouble understanding one part of this: if you are eligible for this one time TRP exemption, will you still need to provide the documents necessary to apply for a TRP?

Could a qualifying individual with a DWI show up to the border with just his passport and tell the border officials he would like to take advantage of the one time TRP exemption and visit Canada?

Or would he still need all the documents required for TRP application, and the only exemption being waiving the application fee?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Wallhanger

I called immigration at Fort Frances and what I took from the conversation is there are two items "waived", the fee and the waiting periond of 5 or 10 years. You still need to complete tha application for a TRP and it's a one time ever deal. I suggest anyone who is going to try an take advantage of this oppertunity to call and talk to the people that will be doing the enforcement. They were quite nice when I spoke with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Wallhanger

btw. originally people were saying if you served less than 6 months (i think even the minister was quoted as saying this) is incorrect. you must have had NO jail time at all to be considered. I have yet to see a list of the designated "minor" offenses for which this policy is supposed to apply to.
  1. was convicted of an offence and received no term of imprisonment as part of the sentence imposed; and
also...there is nothing that says it's mandatory to grant a TRP to anyone. what is says is that the officer may choose to...

" a delegated authority should consider issuing a TRP. "

the "delegated authority" means the minister's delegate (an immigration/cbsa officer)

Last edited by JinxCanada; 03-11-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Wallhanger

Jinx, I think we get it YOU still have the power
Old 03-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Slot Fish

please dont tell Jinx that , his head is big enough
Old 03-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Wallhanger

I was just trying to help clarify. I'll just leave it and not post here anymore.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxCanada View Post
I was just trying to help clarify. I'll just leave it and not post here anymore.
Probably a good idea....
Old 03-12-2012, 05:38 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxCanada View Post
some of us enjoy your posts. i think there are going to be a lot of unhappy fishermen at the border this summer. if you don,t think jinx is right call the border crossing you are going to use and ask them what the story is.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:14 AM
Wallhanger

Hey Jinx, I agreee with Teddi I enjoyed your posts prior to this topic and won't want to see you stop posting. I sense that this change got under your skin early on. Anyway I don't mean to offend and if I did I'm sorry. Have a good year

I also think this topic has been fully aired out. Just my opinion.