Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
gas prices - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Wallhanger

Default our limit

My guys and I have talked and we have decided not to go to Canada if gas prices reach or go over our agreed upon limit. As of now, our limit is $25/gal. However, we all are confident that hope and change will drive down the prices!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHooksHimself View Post
My guys and I have talked and we have decided not to go to Canada if gas prices reach or go over our agreed upon limit. As of now, our limit is $25/gal. However, we all are confident that hope and change will drive down the prices!

Spoken like a politican!!

Was that $25. for gas, diesel or aviation fuel!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 01:09 PM

As others have said it likely won't have an affect but......4 years ago gas was $2. The average family that has two cars, or possibly kids and 3 cars, will buy 2000 - 2500 gal. of gas a year. That means they are spending $4000 -$5000 more than they were 4 years ago and at some point that money will have to come from somewhere. It clearly has had an affect on the amount of disposable income. It's one of the more significant challenges to our economy as it affects what we have to spend and.....the price of nearly everything we buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Wallhanger

Default Priorities

As I said to my wife just last night- My bucket list contains the following: Make as many trips to Canada fishing as I can. Currently I am getting by with one in the spring and one in the fall. My kids will have to do with a little less in the inheritance if that is what it takes. But I am not speaking for anyone else, if you get my drift.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Minnow

Gas prices as of today March, 7 in Red Lake Ontario CANADA. (at the end of the road) $1.30/liter. Regular.

Cheers
Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 AM
Slot Fish

Default gas price

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Canuck View Post
Gas prices as of today March, 7 in Red Lake Ontario CANADA. (at the end of the road) $1.30/liter. Regular.

Cheers
It is exactly the same price here in southern Ontario. Also, I was in Niagara Falls, New York last weekend and it was over $4 a gallon, less than Ontario prices, but not as big a spread as we used to see.
Let's face it. We can't control the price. For a family, it is a major expense, but when you have four guys splitting the cost, it is not the end of the world, and I would not give up a trip because of an extra $50 or $75.
Only two months until Walleye opens !!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Minnow

I think the problem is the extra spent all year on gas with higher prices, not just the trip to Canada. like someone said above. We are considering leaving the Jeep and boat at home and taking the car which gets twice as good gas mileage, more comfortable, and still will hold all of our fishing gear. We love going to Canada fishing, and now that our son is old enough we hope to do it every year, even if that means cutting back on other things during the year.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Canuck View Post

Cheers
If I remember right I paid more than that two summers ago in the Kenora area.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Wallhanger

I don't think it will affect the guys that already have their trips planned but for those still considering a trip I think they may tend to stay closer to home. IMHO
Old 03-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Wallhanger

For those wanting to check gas prices: http://ontariogasprices.com/Price_By_County.aspx?c=can

For my usual 1500 mile trip from Akron, Ohio, to a fish camp in Ontario or Quebec, I get a whopping 11 mph pulling my 17' boat so thats 136 gallons plus about 40 gallons to feed the Optimax for a total of 176 gallons. Assuming $1.30/liter times 3.785 l/gal thats $866 for gas, ignoring exchange rate, mastercard rip-off conversion charge, tolls, the tank of gas bought in US. Toss in a $800/week basic cabin plus tax, but not counting the beer and food (would be consumed at home for the most part) and I'm over $1700 for my son and I. Compare this with a roundtrip commute to lake Erie for the day consuming 10 gallons in the SUV and 4 in the boat for a total of 14 gallons or about $56. One trip to Ontario equals 30 trips to Erie. While there is no comparsion in scenery and I really enjoy slaying the pike, I am choosing Lake Erie commutes this year because I have other family expenses to manage this year. Some may suggest that the increase in the cost of the trip to Canada from inflated gas prices is small, but the total cost of a typical Canada trip for many of us has been steadily increasing and not trivial for many in the 99%.