Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
First Green Bay trip. Tips, gear, and what not. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-22-2014, 11:48 PM
Keeper

Default First Green Bay trip. Tips, gear, and what not.

Getting set for my first trip up to Green Bay in a few weeks. Looking for a place to stay over night near Suamico that has electrical hook up for the boat. Any first time pointers for a big body of water like this. Anything that took you by surprise your first time out here that I can avoid. Any certain gear that's a must, or helpful. All comments welcome to make this trip a memorable one for all the right reasons. Areas to find fish too would be a plus. You can inbox me those if you don't want to give up your secrets. Legit responses please, I know I need life vest, rods, charged batteries and so on. Responses greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Minn Kota 112 Terova I Pilot
HDS GEN 3 touch 9
HDS GEN 3 touch 7
HDS GEN 3 touch 7 bow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 04:45 AM
Wallhanger

1. Get to the launch early.
2. Bring lots of gas money.
3. Don't be afraid to troll high.
4. If you get a blow day, check out the N.E.W. Zoo
Old 06-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Wallhanger

My best advice - hire a guide for a 1/2 day, and use your boat. He/she will teach you more than you can learn on your own in 6 trips there, including where the fish are that day. I use to be against hiring a guide, and with a new area, will be the first to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Keeper

For GB you definitely want some #5 and #6 large blade crawler harnesses in purple, gold, and perch colors.

For trolling cranks, you won't go wrong with #7 Flicker Shads--firetiger, purple tiger, black gold,racy shad, chartreuse pearl, chartreuse growler and orange tiger all are proven GB colors, among others.

I also agree with the comment above to make sure you cover trolling high in the water column, especially when you have a good chop.

Maybe consider launching out of Oconto on the west shore and you don't have to go far to be into fish. Talk to the locals at the launch for what depth and what is working--usually harnesses or Flicker Shads. The locals are a friendly bunch who always have a pearl or two to share. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Keeper

got your flares, throw able and fire extinguisher?

some reef runners along with the shads and harnesses
Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfraze10 View Post
got your flares, throw able and fire extinguisher?

some reef runners along with the shads and harnesses
^^^^^ This. Make sure you meet Coast Guard requirements. GB is federal water. Watch wind and weather forecast. GB can get ugly fast.

Sent from my HTC One (M8) using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Keeper

Besides flares, any other safety equipment I'll need for federal waters?
What color R.R. Should I run?
HDS GEN 3 touch 9
HDS GEN 3 touch 7
HDS GEN 3 touch 7 bow
Old 06-25-2014, 05:05 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thembonez View Post
Getting set for my first trip up to Green Bay in a few weeks. Looking for a place to stay over night near Suamico that has electrical hook up for the boat. Any first time pointers for a big body of water like this. Anything that took you by surprise your first time out here that I can avoid. Any certain gear that's a must, or helpful. All comments welcome to make this trip a memorable one for all the right reasons. Areas to find fish too would be a plus. You can inbox me those if you don't want to give up your secrets. Legit responses please, I know I need life vest, rods, charged batteries and so on. Responses greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Place to stay, check out American inn lodge and suites. 5 min from suimico landing. Has plug ins and cont. breakfast. Not a bad place at all.

Far as tackle, I agree with the others. If its windy be careful, and keep the weather forecast handy.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:39 AM
Keeper

Default Greenbay

Tb,get a good map (hot spots) and mark shallow spots. Especially if you end up on the southeast side of the bay. A couple of years ago we were close to half a mile off shore and were in about 18 inches of water with huge boulders right under the boat. There weren't any hazard buoy's i could see.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:44 AM
Keeper

Got a room booked at the American inn. I will be keeping tabs on the wind for sure. As far as map chips go I'm running my navionics +. Anyone of any places to call in the area for current fish reports?
HDS GEN 3 touch 9
HDS GEN 3 touch 7
HDS GEN 3 touch 7 bow