Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Galvanized or painted boat trailer - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 11-27-2016, 04:09 PM
Slot Fish

Default Galvanized or painted boat trailer

Pros and cons galvanized verses painted boat trailer to be used in the northern states and cannada March through November. Also tandem axle verses single axle for 1875 aluminum boat. Thanks in advance
Old 11-27-2016, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

The good news about a galvanized trailer, is that 20 years after you buy it, it will look just about exactly as what it did when you purchased it new.

The bad news is that a galvanized trailer is not necessarily attractive, but it is certainly functional and will serve you long and well.

Remember, when you are on the water, where you care about your boat, the trailer is parked somewhere and is not part of the equation.

The 2nd best type of trailer would be one that has a powder coated finish. This finish is nearly indestructible but always looks very nice.

Good luck
Old 11-27-2016, 05:52 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

If you are trailering on gravel roads in Northern Minnesota or Canada quite often I would opt for galvanized. That said my painted Ranger Trail trailer held up really well for 10 years and I expect my Skeeter Trailer to do the same.
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2016, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

All good points.
As far as tandem axle verses single axle, up- side, tandem will ride better on the road.
Less see-saw between truck and trailer. Can get by with one flat tire if need be.
Down-side more tires to buy and bearings to maintain. And much harder to move by hand.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:29 AM
Wallhanger

I had three choices when I ordered my new rig........painted, galvanized or Tundra coated which is their (Trailmaster Trailers) version of Line-X.....

I was trading in a painted trailer that looked like **** because of all the rust on it.......but it still worked great......

I first thought galvanized because we have a lot of salt on our roads in the late fall, winter and even sometimes in the early spring. But they look so butt F ugly no matter what anyone says.....

Then I finally went to the dealer to order my rig and he showed me a Tundra coated trailer he had in the show room. So that's what I ordered and I'm glad I did........not only looks GREAT but also chip proof so no rust in the future. Color me HAPPY ! ! !

Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 11-30-2016, 08:03 AM
Wallhanger

I've had three painted trailers and currently own a galvanized trailer. In the six years I've owned this trailer it looks the same as the day I bought it. I can't say that about any of my previously painted trailers. In my opinion the only down sides is they cost more as I'm ok with them looking butt F ugly. LOL!

Last edited by Shotgun; 11-30-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
I had three choices when I ordered my new rig........painted, galvanized or Tundra coated which is their (Trailmaster Trailers) version of Line-X.....

I was trading in a painted trailer that looked like **** because of all the rust on it.......but it still worked great......

I first thought galvanized because we have a lot of salt on our roads in the late fall, winter and even sometimes in the early spring. But they look so butt F ugly no matter what anyone says.....

Then I finally went to the dealer to order my rig and he showed me a Tundra coated trailer he had in the show room. So that's what I ordered and I'm glad I did........not only looks GREAT but also chip proof so no rust in the future. Color me HAPPY ! ! !

Bob
Is the inside of the trailer frame coated? Pretty sure a galvanized trailer is coated inside and out. No way I'd have anything but galvanized in upstate NY. Definitely some real rust buckets up there!
Old 12-05-2016, 06:53 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
The good news about a galvanized trailer, is that 20 years after you buy it, it will look just about exactly as what it did when you purchased it new.

The bad news is that a galvanized trailer is not necessarily attractive, but it is certainly functional and will serve you long and well.

Remember, when you are on the water, where you care about your boat, the trailer is parked somewhere and is not part of the equation.

The 2nd best type of trailer would be one that has a powder coated finish. This finish is nearly indestructible but always looks very nice.

Good luck
Can't say it any better. I have a 23' boat that is from 1993 with a galvanized trailer. Looks just like the day we bought it. Not good, not bad. Have any other painted steel trailer like that. My 21' skeeter is painted. That trailer I won't let see a salt road.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:41 AM
Wallhanger

I have owned painted and galvanized, now I own aluminum. I'm glad it was an option for my American Angler. It was more money but this will be my boat for a long time and I know the trailer will last forever. I fish from the day the ice is gone until the day the ice comes in upstate New York.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2017, 07:44 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster7600 View Post
I have owned painted and galvanized, now I own aluminum. I'm glad it was an option for my American Angler. It was more money but this will be my boat for a long time and I know the trailer will last forever. I fish from the day the ice is gone until the day the ice comes in upstate New York.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you fishing today, no ice here . . .
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra