Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trapping minnows in Ontario - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Trapping minnows in Ontario

Are there laws regarding trapping minnows for bait in Ontario? I seem to remember reading that it's illegal for non residents. I may be mistaken and am thinking about from state to state in the US. What I'm considering is setting a minnow trap at the dock of a Canadian resident who allows me to use his dock for my boat while visiting. I guess I could have him set the trap, but would it be legal for me to have the minnows aboard my boat with no sales receipt? I enjoy fishing Canada too much to jeopardize my visits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Wallhanger

From the Ontario regs, "Only resident anglers may capture baitfish." The page is at http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business...02_165361.html.

Can't help with the "no receipt" question.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Slot Fish

Location: Sioux Lookout, Lac Seul, MAPB, Lake St Joe, and usually on an island

a resident can trap and posses up to 12 doz minnows, he can give you minnows, he just can not sell them to you, I wouldnt get caught setting the trap myself. but totally legal if a resident gives you the minnows for free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyMansfield View Post
a resident can trap and posses up to 12 doz minnows, he can give you minnows, he just can not sell them to you, I wouldnt get caught setting the trap myself. but totally legal if a resident gives you the minnows for free
.....so what you're saying Troy is that I have to give you my minnows for free now too...LOL (cost ya another case)
Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info fellows. I thought the Ontario regs spelled that out about non residents, just wasn't sure as I left the book in the cottage. Tough getting any live bait around where I fish, with exception the worms at Canadian Tire. I won't have any trouble having my friend set the trap. He knows I'm good for some filleted and bagged perch to put in his freezer.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Slot Fish

Location: Sioux Lookout, Lac Seul, MAPB, Lake St Joe, and usually on an island

good one collin, but I'm a resident these days, so I can trap minnows, and get a moose tag! But Ill get the next case again if you wanna go trap some minoow sometime....lol 8 doz = case of beer **** near, we better start trapping so we can afford the beer