Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dog Fence - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 04-20-2013, 07:20 AM
Minnow

Default Dog Fence

We are looking at getting a wireless dog fence, does anyone have experience with one of these? Or should I get a buried wire type? We live in town with a lot size of 12,000 square feet.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Wallhanger

When they work they are so. so, ok. But when they don`t your dog gets out and can get hit by car or get in some other serious trouble. I have and prefer chain link. Wiredog
Old 04-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Wallhanger

A few of my neighbors have them. When everything is working, they are very effective. However, either the collar's batteries or the power to the underground wire can fail, and their dogs are happy. None of the dogs are problem dogs. My dog loves the company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Wallhanger

Wife used to be a service manager/tech for Invisible Fence, she says most failures are customer related, including the install and most important, the trainning of the dog.

Some dogs are very hard to train, like an Akita.

Yes you need to keep up on batteries and the containment system, but they do work very well when a fence is not an option.

al
Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 AM
Minnow

Default Fence

We installed the SportDog underground fence about three years ago and love it. We haven't had any failures at all, other than change the battery once in the collar. I love that you can increase and decrease the boundary with it. It also has a vibrate and beep to first warn them. We fenced about 4+ acres and wouldn't be without it. Love it. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:36 AM
Slot Fish

I installed one a few years ago and it worked good until my shorthair figured out that if she ran full speed across it that it would barely shock her
Old 02-26-2014, 02:23 AM
Keeper

I believe he's talking about the wireless one that has no underground wire! I owned both and the wireless is the way to go! Make sure you keep extra batteries around! They cannot run past the border as it will zap them for 30 seconds or till they get back! And you can just unplug it and take it with you if you go camping or somewhere where they need a quick fence!
Old 02-26-2014, 05:11 AM
Wallhanger

I have had the PetSafe brand "wire less" for my 4 year old Llewellin and its the greatest thing since sliced bread. We live in the country and I actually purchased two of the transmitters to expand the area for my dog. I have one that is plugged in at each end of my house to expand the area. The only problem is when the batteries go dead in the collar. Most the time she does not no the batteries are dead because when she has the collar on she knows she can not leave the area and believe me they know exactly how far they can go. If a guy just put it on the calendar to replace the batteries every three months or so you would never have a problem. The key is to train them properly. Takes less than a week maybe even a few days. Total Thumbs up!!!

Heres a link

http://store.petsafe.net/fencing/wireless-fences
Old 03-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Keeper

I agree with Wiredog. Chain link the way to go. Neighbor's girlfriend let the dog out without the collar, bam. Another time, I caught one of his dogs and it was a battery issue, at least the dog survived THIS TIME.