Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
First time braid user - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-03-2015, 06:58 AM
Minnow

Default First time braid user

Good Morning Everyone, I'm in the process of rigging up one pole with braided line to try it out. After doing some research, I think I'm going to go with Power Pro to start.

I'm curious to see what people think about line color? I'm fishing here in KS where our lakes are usually pretty murky, so not sure on color yet or if it really makes a difference? Do most of you tie directly to your rig, or do you tie up a leader of fluoro? I'm just going to use this pole for jigging.

Thank you all for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Captain,
For murky water, I always tie Power pro directly to the jig, hook or lure.

For clear water, some folks use a clear leader of mono or flouro.

When using braid, compared to mono, it is generally to your advantage to use a bit lighter or slower action pole. It is nice to have a big of "give" somewhere in your fishing system, either the rod or the line.

But, try it both ways on a stiffer and less stiff pole and reach your own conclusion.

One thing is certainly true of Power Pro, DO not do the big over the head line set when a fish bites. No need. Just flip the wrist and with no stretch line; the hook will be set.

Good luck for any fishing your do.

Be safe
Old 06-03-2015, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

p.s.
I only use the high vis Yellow power pro. I simply can't see smoke colored braid, and if I can't see a line, my fishing results go down. I like to be able to see any line twitches which may signal a biting fish.

Be safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 08:05 AM
Minnow

Very similar response, I love the line, have switched over all of my rods to either Power Pro or Suffix 832 but started getting frustrated when pitching jigs/tubes/swimbaits into the shallows and not being able to see the line jump. This year, I just switch 4 reels to Power Pro Yellow Hi-Vis, so depending on how youre planning to fish, that would be something to consider. I did tie a fluorocarbon leader to one of my spinning rods with a lighter jig.....I just use a double uni-knot but I'm sure you could put in a small barrel swivel as well.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Keeper

What they all said...
For jigging I'm exclusive with Power Pro hi-vis yellow and a fluoro leader spliced in with a uni-to-uni knot. You'll find lots of threads on here talking about knots, connecting leaders, etc.

If you're tying directly to your jig then the polamar knot works well with braid.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

I use a lot of Crystal Fireline. I almost always tie direct. Clear lakes flouro leader.
NPAA #499
Old 06-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Keeper

I run red power pro and have never had a problem
Old 06-03-2015, 11:52 AM
Wallhanger

I'd suggest the Power Pro Super Slick. All the benefits of Power Pro, only it casts better and it's silent through the guides, which I really like.

In murky water the brown color might work really well for you. Like others have said, I really like the high vis yellow color to be able to clearly see my line. I never tie direct though, I always use a fluoro or mono leader for two reasons, visibility of the line and ease of changing jigs/lures. Its much easier to tie and cut mono or fluoro than deal with the braid every time.

Waxy
Old 06-03-2015, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

High vis Power Pro. Carry a dowel with you to wrap the line around after you can't get unsnagged, so you don't slice your finger open. I try not to wrap the line over itself, it maybe could cut into itself.

Bill
Old 06-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
High vis Power Pro. Carry a dowel with you to wrap the line around after you can't get unsnagged, so you don't slice your finger open. I try not to wrap the line over itself, it maybe could cut into itself.

Bill
Great advice...I think many of us know this all too well...lol Another good reason to use a mono or flouro leader.