Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Running in engines? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Wallhanger

Default Running in engines?

I often see threads where people are advised to get a dealer to give you a ride in the boat you're looking at. Often wonder what happens to the test rig. Are the engines ever run in properly? Sounds like people are asking dealers to take a new boat off the lot and test ride it. Inevitably they want to try out the boat's performance, so would be gunning a new engine.

Just puzzled, but would be interested to know if dealers are expected to have a range of demonstrator boats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Kelly View Post
Just puzzled, but would be interested to know if dealers are expected to have a range of demonstrator boats?
No...
(Like car dealers, no).
Old 03-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Wallhanger

I know of one particular dealer that does the break-in on the outboards as soon as they get them. When the customer picks up their new order, the break-in is done and you don't have to waste your time doing it. Also the floor boats and demo boats are broken in so they can be run.
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Keeper

I would not trust a dealer that said they already broke in my new engine, I can not see them spending that amount of time, what like 5-10 hours??
Old 03-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfishman186 View Post
I would not trust a dealer that said they already broke in my new engine, I can not see them spending that amount of time, what like 5-10 hours??

I will not be happy if they do the breakin for me. God knows "How" they do that even if they really do that.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfishman186 View Post
One of the reasons they do the break in they know it has been done right and the new owner will not have any warranty issues because the break in wasn`t done right by the new owner, which happens often. Any bugs or problems with boat or motor with the new rig is taken care of before the owner even gets it. They know when the boat leaves the dealership the new owner will be fishing and they won`t be getting a call because something is not working properly ruining the new owners day. That is a service..... they offer when purchasing a new boat from them.

It is called customer service of the best kind.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Keeper

Wow if that is true than the dealers that do break In peoples motors before selling them would be outta business quick. 1 the many many hours they would have to pay to have someone ride around in a boat all day 2 all of the boats that were broke in would be USED and would sell for thousands less.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:32 AM
Wallhanger

I personally know of one dealer who does this (the break in) and they sell a lot of high dollar boats every year. On top of that they are said to be one of the best dealers in the region and their customer service is second to none.

Quote:
2 all of the boats that were broke in would be USED and would sell for thousands less.
Not completely true. I bought a demo boat last year for a good price (thousands off) however it was still "new" as far as the bank and warranties were concerned. I don't think the break-in of a motor would make it a "used" boat.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 03-30-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Wallhanger

Not to be a smart ***, but E-Tecs supposedly don't have a break-in period. When we bought our old boat, in 2005, it had an E-Tec and had no break-in necessary. However, this new Opti Pro XS had a break-in period, not done by the dealer, and I hated it. However, it's done now. Best of my knowledge my new boat had never been run so I didn't worry about it being "used" from being demo boat. I do believe it would be great customer service to have the motor already broken-in because, what's 2-10 hours in the real life of an outboard motor?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Wallhanger

I think people get a little carried away with breaking in a boat motor. Im not saying I would go wide open for long periods right off the show room floor as they run at a high RPM. A little common sence of leting it warm up and vary the speed till things seat in. Not exactly the same but you dont hear of anyone breaking in their new car or truck or even leting them warm up much at -temps. I take it easy for a day or 2 then the warranty takes over.