Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pro Kicker dead spot off idle... - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-14-2017, 08:42 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post
Well I too had this problem at one time. I am positive that it was free play between the inner cable and the outer assembly of the remote console cable. I connected an I-troll to the carb accelerator pump via servo connection and the motor trolls flawlessly. No dead spots what so ever. I'm pretty sure the original problem was just that free play between the inner and outer remote console cable. (By the way. The RPM's would change slightly up/down whenever I turned the Kicker. Figured it was lengthening or shortening the free play in the cable.)
You should be able to test this with moving the throttle cable manually with the cowling off I would think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 06:35 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks all for the info!! I've been tweaking it a bit and did find the cable a bit loose. But I don't think they was loose enough to make a noticeable difference. I'm headed in to the dealer tomorrow to pick up oil change supplies for both engines and will pick up a carb kit as well.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

You really don't need parts to clean the carb. There is one gasket, that is generally re-usable.

If you detected "some" movement in the throttle linkdage - a little movement causes a great deal of difference in throttle control. A little play in the linkage - you've already found your problem and just don't realize it.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:01 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
You really don't need parts to clean the carb. There is one gasket, that is generally re-usable.

If you detected "some" movement in the throttle linkdage - a little movement causes a great deal of difference in throttle control. A little play in the linkage - you've already found your problem and just don't realize it.
LOL!! Found that out today at the parts counter!

I'll go ahead and adjust all the play out of the cables and see what happens. I'm just wondering... While turning the kicker, won't the cables bind up a bit and pull on the cables?

Over-engineering it, aren't I?
Old 03-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSO_Fishing View Post

I'll go ahead and adjust all the play out of the cables and see what happens. I'm just wondering... While turning the kicker, won't the cables bind up a bit and pull on the cables?

If the cable solution doesn't work, I'm telling you, clear that idle jet. Been there and beat my head for a few over the same problem.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm not sure how you can make the cable connection rock solid - I know others have done it and said their issue with acceleration when turning went away too. It's not a cable adjustment, it is repairing the cable mount bracket. The piece/bracket that holds the cable needs to not flex, at all.

Put a Mcgyver hat on and think it through. I spec'd mine with a tiller handle - so I have not had to resolve the issue with mine. But several I know were able to solve it by making the cable mount rock solid.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:26 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
I'm not sure how you can make the cable connection rock solid - I know others have done it and said their issue with acceleration when turning went away too. It's not a cable adjustment, it is repairing the cable mount bracket. The piece/bracket that holds the cable needs to not flex, at all.

Put a Mcgyver hat on and think it through. I spec'd mine with a tiller handle - so I have not had to resolve the issue with mine. But several I know were able to solve it by making the cable mount rock solid.
Thanks for the info, Burr!! I'll see what I can do...
Old 04-06-2017, 04:53 PM
Slot Fish

6APR2017 AAR:

Had the 1875 on the water (FINALLY) and gave the Pro Kicker a good shake down. As far as overall operation, cleaning the carb made a significant difference! Started MUCH easier and ran like a sewing machine! With the carb cleaning and cable adjustments I think the dead spot off idle has been eliminated. However, I think I adjusted the control cables a bit too tight as the engine speed increases at the steering stops. I'll back them off a bit and hit the lake tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the great advice!!!
Old 04-06-2017, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
6APR2017 AAR:

Had the 1875 on the water (FINALLY) and gave the Pro Kicker a good shake down. As far as overall operation, cleaning the carb made a significant difference! Started MUCH easier and ran like a sewing machine! With the carb cleaning and cable adjustments I think the dead spot off idle has been eliminated. However, I think I adjusted the control cables a bit too tight as the engine speed increases at the steering stops. I'll back them off a bit and hit the lake tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the great advice!!!
Good deal! I'd say definitely keep the system treated with Stabil and/or Seafoam religiously. Untreated gas in kicker tanks can go bad easily, even during the season, let alone during storage for allot of people, including myself. I only fill my 6 gallon kicker tank twice per year but treat the gas religiously now, and haven't had a problem since.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:04 PM
Slot Fish

Thank C.E.!

My kicker feeds off the main tank that is and always be treated. Learned that lesson a while ago and remember it well... $$$$