Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
keeping mice out of your boat - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-26-2009, 06:40 AM
Wallhanger

I know lots of guys like dryer sheets, but one more than one occasion I have seen mice use them to build their nests. My opinion is that dryer sheets do not stop mice, so if you use them and haven't had mice yet then you're lucky. Personally, I put mothballs inside old socks and toss them throughout the boat and storage compartments. After I pull the socks out in the spring the mothball smell is gone within a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Slot Fish

I found a product called "Cab Fresh". You can get it at Menards or most implement dealers. It comes 4 packs to a box, is all natural scent and smell good. I use it in the 5th wheel camper and have had good luck.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

I use the sticky traps in every corner of my garage. They mostly catch wire worms, crickets and spiders but will get a mouse if one gets in the garage. Haven't had a problem with a mouse in my boat yet. BUT don't use the sticky traps in the boat. If a mouse gets in it and turns it over into your carpet, you'll have a mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Minnow

We also use cab fresh, in the camper and boat. Works good.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Slot Fish

When I store my boat int my garage for the winter I liked to throw a hand full of moth balls around the boat.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Wallhanger

Cab Fresh in the pickup cab and the slide-in truck camper, but the boat gets a box of mothballs that has holes stabbed in it.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Minnow

I've stored my boats in a barn for the last 10 winters and have always just put a bowl of moth balls in before tarping it, and so far I've never had a mouse problem.....touch wood.

A friend stored his boat outside a couple years back with a tarp over it and the interior was completely destroyed by racoons.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Winnebago walleye.

Angry Felix on steroids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeboom View Post
This usually works for me.
Hey eyeboom, where can I get a cat like that? We just retrieved our Lund from the barn after 2 years and the plywood floors (carpeted) are soaked with mice pee. I power washed with Jungle Jake and then with bleach solution. The odor still takes your breath away. I had a half full shop-vac of nesting material and 8 mice that got sucked up and had already rebuilt their nests inside the vac!
I will use mothballs going forward but any ideas for the stench??
Old 07-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Keeper

Whole cloves,mice hate them & your boat will smell a lot more "savory" than mothballs.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Wallhanger

I had one get in mine about 15 years ago. The little bugger got in through the livewell discharge hose and then ate a hole in the hose get into the boat. I will tell ya something, a leak in the boat 10 miles out on lake Huron was a surprise to us. Never knew we had a problem until the water finally made it over the floor boards after a few hours trolling. Needless to say, the mouse ran out of air and drowned. Ha ha, go tthat little bugger. Now I plug every hole, every winter. Never had a problem since.