Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Begging......a sign of the timeg - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2014, 05:28 AM
Wallhanger

Default Begging

Why don't these schools and other organizations who have fund raisers develop some method where I can write a check directly to the cause rather than buy a bunch of cookie dough, candy bars or other junk that I will never use. Seems to me that writing a check for fifty buck directly to the cause would result in them reaching their goals a lot quicker.
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 05:39 AM
Wallhanger

I'm missing the point about how some here are saying that the businesses get tax deductions from collecting money from the public. I'm not an expert in tax law but I asked my friend and my CPA about this and he couldn't figure out how that could be done. "if" they collected from you and donated the money in their name, perhaps,... but that would be very dangerous to them in a number of ways. No big company would risk that.
I do give to the red kettle esp after a local news show followed a few of the bell ringers and saw that they did indeed turn the money to the Salvation Army and that our local S.A. WAS using nearly 100% of that money locally and pretty efficiently. Now this MIGHT not be done in every area,...IDUUNO,...but I also understand that the top person at the national S.A. gets a tiny salary compared to most charities.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:10 AM
Wallhanger

Cut out the middle men and scammers. Give local,direct to the organization. If they are a charity they have a non tax status and give an official tax document. Give but give wisely. The link on post #8 from pooch is another way to do it. Bob
Old 11-14-2014, 06:58 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeABreak View Post
Yes, the utility companies are not charities, but neither am I! If they want to ask me to donate, then they should be willing to lead by example.
I don't know about your utility, but ours has many programs to help people having trouble paying their bills. So, ours does lead by example.
http://www.consumersenergy.com/content.aspx?id=1244
Old 11-14-2014, 07:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I'm missing the point about how some here are saying that the businesses get tax deductions from collecting money from the public. I'm not an expert in tax law but I asked my friend and my CPA about this and he couldn't figure out how that could be done. "if" they collected from you and donated the money in their name, perhaps,... but that would be very dangerous to them in a number of ways. No big company would risk that.
I dont think they would be that stupid ..... I think they would rather approximate time all they employees spent asking for donation and write this off against earning. It is really small number per employee but if you accumulate all the stores and all the employees ... ? Just a ques on my side..maybe wrong ...
Old 11-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Keeper

NOTE: CharityWatch grades are not based on the salary ranges reported in the IRS Form 990. DUE TO DIFFERENCES IN THE WAY SALARIES MIGHT BE ALLOCATED, HIGH SALARIES DO NOT NECESSARILY INDICATE INEFFICIENCIES JUST AS LOW SALARIES ARE NOT ALWAYS A PLUS. Name & Title Organization
Top Salary*
Abraham H. Foxman, National Director Anti-Defamation League & Foundation
$3,802,324
Includes $3,146,670 supplemental executive retirement plan. Edwin Feulner, Jr., Past President Heritage Foundation
$2,702,687
Includes investment earnings of $1,656,230 accrued over a period of 33 years. Philip H. Gutin, M.D., Chairman Attending Surgery, Neurosurgery Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
$2,645,233
Robert J. Mazzuca, Past Chief Scout Executive Boy Scouts of America - N.O.
$1,921,979
Includes 457(f) supplemental retirement plan of $655,542.
Michael Aiona, M.D., Chief of Staff
Shriners Hospitals for Children
$1,758,081
Includes $1,300,531 retirement and other deferred compensation.
Michael Friedman, M.D., CEO/Past President
City of Hope
$1,689,543
Edward J. Benz, Jr., M.D., President/CEO Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Jimmy Fund
$1,420,202
Enrique Ferraro, Managing Director, Accion Investments Management Company Accion International
$1,233,192
Includes $1,041,107 incentive compensation, of which most was awarded by Accion International Management Company for ten years of fund management. Rabbi Yechiel Eckstein, President/CEO International Fellowship of Christians and Jews
$1,203,690
Includes $602,397 supplemental non-qualified retirement plan. Nancy Brown, CEO American Heart Association
$1,097,203
Brian Gallagher, President/CEO United Way Worldwide
$1,026,017
Jonathan W. Simons, M.D., President/CEO Prostate Cancer Foundation
$1,012,143
Steven E. Sanderson, Past President/CEO Wildlife Conservation Society
$1,007,809
Michael L. Lomax, President/CEO UNCF/The College Fund
$998,735
Harry Johns, President/CEO Alzheimer's Association - N.O.
$980,804
Includes $211,509 vested non-qualified retirement benefit. William E. Evans, Director/CEO St. Jude Children's Research Hospital/ALSAC
$977,444
Wayne LaPierre, CEO & Executive VP/Ex-Officio National Rifle Association & Foundation, respectively
$974,867
William R. Brody, M.D., President Salk Institute for Biological Studies
$971,543
Larry R. Blum, Past COO Hadassah
$954,861
Includes $731,356 two years' severance pay. Robert J. Beall, President/CEO Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
$916,100
Scott A. Blackmun, CEO United States Olympic Committee
$885,131
David Harris, Executive Director American Jewish Committee
$859,333
James E. Williams, Jr., President/CEO Easter Seals - N.O.
$837,120
John R. Seffrin, CEO American Cancer Society
$832,355
Rabbi Marvin Hier, President/CEO Simon Wiesenthal Center
$804,770
Old 11-14-2014, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbutter View Post
Why don't these schools and other organizations who have fund raisers develop some method where I can write a check directly to the cause rather than buy a bunch of cookie dough, candy bars or other junk that I will never use. Seems to me that writing a check for fifty buck directly to the cause would result in them reaching their goals a lot quicker.
I have stopped buying products from school, scout, etc fund raisers. I tell them to keep the product and just give them a 5 spot. Well, except for Girl Scout cookies, I still like them!
Old 11-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
You can. Because they don't go out looking for hand-outs for how it's frowned upon obviously, and want to give you something for your donation, you generally have to seek out where to donate straight cash. If you want to donate to sports programs, seek out your school's athletic director or president. Want to donate to the schools in general, call the district office and they'll give you the info of where to send it. I donate custom team tackle in school colors all the time for charity auctions, raffles, and sales. Wasn't too hard at all to find out who to give it to.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
The amount of people who will kick $50 cash at a stranger's kid- small.

The amount of people who will buy junk- much larger.

I agree on the whole industry aspect of it. Would rather they just sold me $5 pizzas for $10 and cut out the companies that profiteer off the fundraising.