Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Hooking up Lowrance LCX to LGX-4000 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Minnow

Default Hooking up Lowrance LCX to LGX-4000

I'm having issues setting up my LCX to my GPS puck - I keep getting a GPS not responding error.

Do I need to power the puck? I just have the puck hooked into the back of my LCX unit - not sure on what I need to do.

Thank you!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...lemethod-1.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Keeper

I had/have the same problem on a recent install. You need to power the NMEA wires.

Blair
Old 05-29-2015, 03:03 PM
Minnow

How do I power the NMEA wires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015, 07:58 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMN View Post
How do I power the NMEA wires?
NMEA network have a PowerNode running in one of the "T". Might have another way of powering it but I only know this way.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:32 PM
Wallhanger

A NMEA-2000 network must have power provided to it.

Some older chart plotters from Lowrance had an auxiliary power circuit provided in the device's power cable which could be used to provide power to the NMEA-2000 network. This method of powering the network is not recommended. Lowrance probably provided this method as an expedient in anticipation that users, like ARONNM, would just connect the GPS receiver to the chart plotter instead of building a proper network and have an expectation that it ought to work.

Most Lowrance instruction manuals give very clear and nicely illustration explanations of how to connect devices using NMEA-2000, so I am certain that reading the manual for the older Lowrance device will explain very clearly how to get power to the network. I'd rely on the instructions in the owner's manual for advice about this.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:04 PM
Minnow

If your power cable has 3 leads, one will be for the unit power, one for NMEA 183 Data and one to power the NMEA 2000 network. The system in the diagram needs power, but be sure to be able to switch off the power to the NMEA network or there will be a constant drain on your battery. The unit on and off switch doesn't control the NMEA 2000 power.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:26 AM
Wallhanger

If a user desires to forgo creation of a proper NMEA-2000 network and wishes to connect a GNSS receiver to the obsolete Lowrance chart plotter as shown in the image attached to the first posting in this thread, in must be noted that a very special, quite unique cable must be used. The cable must have internal terminating resistors. Without use of the very special and unique cable--which is not suitable for use in any other NMEA-2000 configuration--the single-cable wiring as shown in the attached image will not work. Obtaining the special cable may be difficult, as I suspect it is also an obsolete product for Lowrance.

Also, I believe the correct model designator for a GPS receiver is an LGC-4000.

Last edited by jhebert; 05-30-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:34 PM
Minnow

Jim -

You have a very distinct writing style. Fellow Whaler owner here - I spend time at CW.

Could you please be more specific in how I should proceed? I do not have the manual.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:38 PM
Wallhanger

Since the special single cable is no longer made you might have to put in a nema 2000 backbone,....Which is cheaper than buying a single special cable, if you can even find one.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:40 PM
Wallhanger

Link to the Lowrance manual.

http://www.lowrance.com/Root/Lowranc...1_12-08-06.pdf