Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Black Friday for Thorne Bros. - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 11-30-2002, 01:45 PM
Wallhanger

Default RE: Black Friday for Thorne Bros.

when i met my wife i weighed in at 160lb many years later i,m now at 260lbs so i shy from the ice around here, i used to ice fish every year man i could,nt wait for the ice, my big spend this year was another dept finder the new fisheasy, and a new trolling motor a minn kota backtroller both of which i neglected to tell the wife about, thank god they shipped to my work, some day in a few years i,ll say something but for now its hush hush
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2002, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Hi Folks- Let`s just put it tis way. Wednesdays are payday, and the employes of Gander Mountain start calling the house at 5:00 pm if they have`nt seen Me yet, making sure I`m OK:). You know Ya got it bad, when the GM workers say, " Go ask Him, if We have it He`ll know."LOL. Bob WC#253.
Old 11-30-2002, 02:47 PM
Wallhanger

Shadowman.

You mean you don't clear every piece of fishing equipment you purchase with the wife? And then tell her exactly what everything cost?:-).
My biggest fear is that I'll die of a quick heart attack, and one of my best friends will come over, buy all my boats and every piece of fishing equipment I own for about 3 grand. That being about what the wife thinks I paid for it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2002, 09:24 AM
waterwolff

Well Mr Chepo It's all well and good to buy off the internet but what are you going to do when lets say its the night before a big trip and you discover that you have forgotten something and you run down to your favorite small tackle store only to find it closed for lack of business or the local mom and pop diner down the street is closing because a Micky D's breakfast is cheaper or now you have to run to Home Depot for a bag of 8 penny's because the local hardware had to close for lack of business I suppose you may save a couple bucks now but how about later and also what are you going to do when the teamsters strike big brown and your purchase are delayed getting to you or they arrive not as described or worse yet broken and than you get to deal with the bureaucracy of your shipper yea go rite ahead shop till you drop me I think I'll hop in the truck and head up 47 and spend some in the store
Old 12-01-2002, 02:23 PM

Well mrcheapo I would agree Ebay can have some good prices on stuff. But looking right now, there is one FL-18 for sale at $370 unless someone bids it higher. So you add in the $15 shipping and $5 to insure it and now you are up to $390. Then you take into consideration the fact you are sending someone you have never dealt with $400 with no guarantee of getting your product and if you do and there is a problem, will they back there product...probably not. This exact product is selling for $399 at Thorne Bros. Is it really worth saving the $10 by buying it through Ebay? Oh...and what if someone bumps your bid by 2 bucks right before the auction closes? It is not like they are advertising a supply of these things. Sometimes it is best to go through a reputable company that I have had good experiences with just for the peace of mind. Thanks for your opinion though and Merry Xmas.
Old 12-01-2002, 03:54 PM
Keeper

WAeyes, If you fish during Jan and Feb for eyes where do you go? Thanks guys for being honest I just spent three bills and wife was shocked. Showed her this now she thinks she got off cheap. Thanks again, Brian
Old 12-01-2002, 03:56 PM
Wallhanger

Last year was the costly one for ice fishing on me. New portable ice house, a power auger I picked up on clearance I'm yet to fire up, flasher at end of season. Just waiting for safe ice.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Waterwolf, WAeyes well said!! support the local shops and they will be here to support us.
dutchboy

Old 12-01-2002, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Still gonna get a new fl-18 ($400). Started to drop the hints about a shack and will see if I can have the little woman talked into that by the time they go on clearance in the spring (much nicer fishing for the little ones too!). Also stopped at the local tackle shop going out of business yesterday and at 50% of bought about $30 worth of assorted hard and soft water items... always been given him all the business I could - hated to see him go out of business because the other bait shop in town is never open when you need bait. Fiddlesticks! Hope your bait shop fairs better! Chuckles
Old 12-01-2002, 08:54 PM

...and it's not even a local shop for me. But I do reward past good service and a great selection of quality gear with my continued business.