Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
trailer wheel bearings - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 11-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Minnow

Default how to buy the seals?

regardless of your greasing method or type of axle, how do you find the right size of seal for your specific hub?

Just take the old one into the auto parts store?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley58 View Post
regardless of your greasing method or type of axle, how do you find the right size of seal for your specific hub?

Just take the old one into the auto parts store?
Yup. Make sure you get the double lipped ones with the spring in there to keep it tight against the spindle.

I could never get a seal out without totally destroying it so you may have to take the entire hub in.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Keeper

Measure across the shoulder area where the seal sits on the bsack of the axle.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Minnow

Default Super support from Bear Trailer

Ok, I need to give credit where credit is due.

I phoned Bear trailer directly as suggested by a member of this site. They got back to me in like 20 minutes with pricing on all the parts I required (fair pricing BTW).

Once I have the new seals in hand from Bear Trailer, I can then take the new seals to my local autoparts dealer and find a replacement part for future use (easier to match up a new part). Failing that I can also order from Bear directly but I doubt that would be needed.....

Great service from these people...
Old 11-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Wallhanger

Spent the day replacing seals and one bearing on my double axle Trailmaster trailer. Bought this rig used (6 yrs old) and it was obvious by the mud packed in the rear bearing that the previous owner had never serviced the trailer. I almost pulled it up north for winter storage before checking the bearings/seals...I would have been one of those guys on the side of the road with a smokin hot hub!

$10 seals + $10 grease + couple hours + $23 (1) bearing set = Peace of mind (PRICELESS)

m
Old 11-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Wallhanger

After completing the work above, went to fill the gas tank and put her to bed for the winter. Side wall blew out pulling in the driveway. Lucky it happened there.

7 year old dry rot tires = another $500.

m
Old 11-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty59 View Post
After completing the work above, went to fill the gas tank and put her to bed for the winter. Side wall blew out pulling in the driveway. Lucky it happened there.

7 year old dry rot tires = another $500.

m

Some days you feel like you can never win.

A couple times I've been on the side of the road in the middle of the night trying to take off a bent up boat fender so I could get the spare tire on thinking, "Why can't I be into playing video games instead of walleye fishing."