Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Hours on your Yamaha 4 stroke ? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Wallhanger

Default Hours on your Yamaha 4 stroke ?

I'm looking at an '05 Pro V 1775 w/ '05 Yamaha F75 VTS on the back. Owners states appx 525 hrs on the outboard. This works out to appx 90 hrs per year. I don't have any doubt this motor has a lot of life left in it.

I've never had an hour meter on an outboard - and have always figured my outboards didn't have many hours on them. In reality they probably did - it seems they rack up more quickly than a person thinks. This being said - how many hours is A LOT of hours on a 4 stroke outboard ? Anyone running this motor out there with XXXX hrs on it ?

How many hours are on your Yamaha 4 stroke ?

I'm trying to determine if the asking price is in line relative to the hours on the motor.

Ryan

2004 Lund 1775 ProV Tiller w/ 75hp Yamaha EFI / VTS / TITAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Keeper

Default hour meters

I have a friend that has over 4000 hrs on his F115 Yammi, mine has about 1300. The one thing about hour meters is that unless they're hooked up to register when the motor's running, they'll just tell you how many hours power is turned on. Without getting a print-out off the computer you can't know for sure. jerr
Old 03-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bullhead View Post
I'm looking at an '05 Pro V 1775 w/ '05 Yamaha F75 VTS on the back. Owners states appx 525 hrs on the outboard. This works out to appx 90 hrs per year. I don't have any doubt this motor has a lot of life left in it.

I've never had an hour meter on an outboard - and have always figured my outboards didn't have many hours on them. In reality they probably did - it seems they rack up more quickly than a person thinks. This being said - how many hours is A LOT of hours on a 4 stroke outboard ? Anyone running this motor out there with XXXX hrs on it ?

How many hours are on your Yamaha 4 stroke ?

I'm trying to determine if the asking price is in line relative to the hours on the motor.
I would think that 90 hrs per year is not to bad but to be sure I would want to take it to the dealer and have them tell me how many hours not the owner but I can understand how that can be kind of difficult to question the sellers integrity also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Wallhanger

Stinkycat has it I would guess that alot of that time is trolling not running wide open if it is then I would be concerned. A print out will tell how many hours and at what RPM.

That is why I like my kicker if not for that my Opti would have 100`s of more hours on it.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Wallhanger

That's just it Cat - these newer outboards have a meter right on the tack that gives an hour reading. Makes it pretty easy.

Ryan

Old 03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
That's just it Cat - these newer outboards have a meter right on the tack that gives an hour reading. Makes it pretty easy.
My 08 F75 & my 09 F90 did not and do not have a meter right on the tack or any where else unless it comes through the NMEA system on the HDS. Not quite sure what you are talking about...
Old 03-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkycat View Post
My 08 F75 & my 09 F90 did not and do not have a meter right on the tack or any where else unless it comes through the NMEA system on the HDS. Not quite sure what you are talking about...
..... are yours VTS Yam's ? I'm not sure - this is all new to me. I asked him how many hours he thought were on the outboard and he says something like 525.6. I asked if he'd had it in to the dealer - and he replied, "no, there's an hour meter right on the tach".

My last rig was a 93 ProV with a '99 Honda......so I'm not real in touch with what's available today - or back in 2005. If I pull it home - I'll let you know.

Ryan

Old 03-11-2011, 04:20 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
..... are yours VTS Yam's ? I'm not sure - this is all new to me. I asked him how many hours he thought were on the outboard and he says something like 525.6. I asked if he'd had it in to the dealer - and he replied, "no, there's an hour meter right on the tach".

My last rig was a 93 ProV with a '99 Honda......so I'm not real in touch with what's available today - or back in 2005. If I pull it home - I'll let you know.
Yes both have the VTS and both motors were on a LUnd but the tach came with the boat and is made by Merc. ... no hour meter with the Merc guages. Neither of my motors came with an hour meter except the built in one on the computer so when I interfaced the motors to my HDS I was able to read actual hours from day 1 of operation.

I wonder what your top end will be with this boat? Also, what HP is the boat rated for?

My F75 was on a 2008 Lund PRoGUide which I am sure is less weight than a ProV and I would top out at 36 mph on the gps.

Have fun!
Old 03-11-2011, 04:43 AM
Keeper

My dealer told me that when you turn the key on your tack goes to the number of hours on the motor so 200 rpm would be 200 hours. Don't know if that works since mine has been in storage since he told be that.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Wallhanger

I've heard the same thing about they key being "on" (engine off) counts towards the hours. I have an F75 and a tach with no hour meter. I do get the hours through the NMEA Lowrance network, as it has an engine interface cable to give various engine outputs. I put on about 50 hours per year, fishing 12-15 weekends per season. I use my TM a lot, and most of my engine time is less than 3500 RPM's.

I don't think 560 hours is a lot for an 05. I'd almost be more concerned if it had 50 on it. 4 strokes have been known to go over 4000 hours and commonly get to 2500-3000 hours without a rebuild.

If he hooked your outboard up to the diagnostic computer, he can tell you hours at specific RPM's and even tell you if it was over revved at some point.