Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Planer Board Mast - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-30-2015, 11:35 AM
Slot Fish

Default Planer Board Mast

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2006 Ranger 621 and I am looking to mount a planer board mast on it. I was planning on mounting it up front by the trolling motor and reinforcing it with plywood or marine board underneath the fiberglass. Has anyone done this, or have any suggestions on a better way to do it? I need it to be as strong as I can get it because I have boards that really want to pull and we get some pretty decent chop on the eastern basin of Erie. Thanks!

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 02:00 PM
Wallhanger

do you have a mast already? if not, i would suggest a riviera mast with the automatic retrieval (kachman) reels. you'll never have to worry about slack in the lines and to bring the boards in, just turn the boat towards them and let the reels wind in the line. then just pluck the boards out of the water.

i use the bolt-on style base with mine, up on the bow. solid as a rock, but my bow isn't fiberglass. but they also have the seat post style mounts too. really nice quality stuff.

http://www.rivieratrolling.com/planner_board_masts.html
Old 03-30-2015, 06:50 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyehunter2230 View Post
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2006 Ranger 621 and I am looking to mount a planer board mast on it. I was planning on mounting it up front by the trolling motor and reinforcing it with plywood or marine board underneath the fiberglass. Has anyone done this, or have any suggestions on a better way to do it? I need it to be as strong as I can get it because I have boards that really want to pull and we get some pretty decent chop on the eastern basin of Erie. Thanks!

-Chris
I have a Big Jon mast that I mount in the seat base. I ordered a base mount that fits the seat base. I also run two nylon rachet straps over the bow hooked to the bow eye and two straps hooked to the bow cleats. It is rock solid.

I run the Amish Outfitter boards. They pull hard. I run up to six miles an hour for musky so the nylon straps do the trick.

Did'nt have to drill any holes or mount any hardware. When I'm done using it everything fits in one of my front box storage boxes. I attached a photo .....................not the best photo but you'll get the idea

I bought the seat base mount from Riviera. Bowhunter listed the link above in his post.
Great system
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	planer mast.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	142522  

Last edited by wet the net; 03-30-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 06:56 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet the net View Post
I have a Big Jon mast that I mount in the seat base. I ordered a base mount that fits the seat base. I also run two nylon rachet straps over the bow hooked to the bow eye and two straps hooked to the bow cleats. It is rock solid.

I run the Amish Outfitter boards. They pull hard. I run up to six miles an hour for musky so the nylon straps do the trick.

Did'nt have to drill any holes or mount any hardware. When I'm done using it everything fits in one of my front box storage boxes. I attached a photo .....................not the best photo but you'll get the idea
Great system
Net, where did you order the base mount from? I have the same mast and planers.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Minnow

I ordered it from Riviera. .
http://www.rivieratrolling.com/planner_board_masts.html

When you revieve it simply position it on the bottom of the mast, line up the holes and drill through the shaft of the planer mast. Insert a bolt and nut and your good to go.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:08 PM
Minnow

you can pick up the straps just about anywhere, home depot, tractor supply etc.