Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Garmin Vs. Lowrance Fishfinder Only - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 07-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Default CCG..Larry Carr here from Navionics

Navionics is always trying to make the product better. Just curious which lakes you feel we need to work on?

TKS
Larry Carr
Midwest Regional Sales Manager
Navionics Inc
Westerville OH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Post Garmin, Vexilar, and Lakemaster...stuff

Garmin can run Lakemaster chips. The new chips are available in Garmin format. http://www.lakemap.com/index.asp?Pag...n=Custom&ID=32

You just need to order the chip designed to be run in the new Garmin units that use micro/sd cards. MN, Great Lakes, Inland Rivers, Lake of the Woods, and more on the way.

My fish'n partner and I run the Garmin 5212 on the dash
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...15/5212_01.gif
and a Garmin 430 SX on the bow on his new big rig boat. Both units can receive live XM weather and network with other boats. The network also is capable of viewing underwater or shipboard mounted cameras.

I also use a Garmin Rhino 530 HCX handheld that also reads/writes the Micro/Sd cards, plus it has a FRS/GMRS radio. They all can read the Garmin Inland Lakes maps or the Lakemaster data micro/sd cards. I love this unit and how versatile it is.
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...cx_cf-high.jpg

I use Vexilar FL-20's on both rigs. I am a hardcore flasher guy and feel naked without one on my boat. My personal everyday fishing and guide rig has me using the Vex and the Rhino, all year around, hard and soft water.
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...l-20_400px.jpg
The new Vexilar Edge 3 LC-507C color unit is a serious graph for the guy who does not need a permanant mount GPS on the boat, or wish's a seperate gps unit from his graph. I would add one if I had need for it, used them, loved the detail and the ease of use. Great units!
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...ges/220407.jpg

A guy can rig many ways depending on his needs. The 5212 is the sweetest gps/sonar I have ever used, and the easiest to use. Yet on my smaler rig I chose to keep it much more "basic", and still meet my needs very well.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Minnow

Larry,

Specifically, I'm talking about Rush Lake and Star Lake in Ottertail County. Lakemaster has a very accurate map of these lakes. Do you guys have any plans to resound these lakes?

I see you guys must have resounded Ottertail Lake in Ottertail County last year. You are two lakes away from me switching over to Navionics. Thanks Larry.

Backwater Eddy,

You're absolutely right; I was thinking about the bird and somehow typed in Garmin.

Last edited by ccg; 07-30-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:30 AM
SnellTier

Default Locator Use

[quote=Backwater Eddy;A guy can rig many ways depending on his needs. The 5212 is the sweetest gps/sonar I have ever used, and the easiest to use. Yet on my smaler rig I chose to keep it much more "basic", and still meet my needs very well. [/quote]

Thanks, Eddy.

I have always been told the Garmin locators weren't as good as the Lowrance. I heard this from several people who are well-known professional guides, outdoor authors, and tournament fishermen. They told me their choice for GPS was Garmin but their choice for locators was Lowrance.

I am about to buy a new rig and have been thinking about what electronics I want on it. I am sold on Garmin GPS units and own 3 of them now (one early hand-held model which is non-mapping, one older black and white 5-inch mapping model, and my current 2010C big-screen color mapping model which I love).

You apparently feel the Garmin locators are as good as any other -- true??? (Except for your preference for flashers, that is.)
Old 07-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Navionics quesion: Which MN lakes?

Larry Carr here from Navioncs.

Just making sure that we offer the best, so please let me know which MN lakes in particular we need to resurvey????

Thanks
LC
Old 07-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Lightbulb Lake Winnipeg, Winnipeg River, Red River MB data

Not a MN request but one that would serve many well and is highly requested in the sporting retail store I work with here in Fargo ND.

I would love to see somebody get the rest of the detail for the Red River from the St Andrews Dam to the Lake in MB. The Rest of the info for the Winnipeg River Papertown Dam or Kenora out to the lake and the big lake complete would be a huge hit.

Hard and soft water users are desperately looking for data on these waters. Interest is high, it would sell well.

I get 20 request for chips with this info a week in Fargo just from Canadian customers, twice that many from regional fisherman in the fall and winter.

If I can get it in Garmin format SD/Micro SD chips, I'll take 40 chips right now. I would take another 60 SD chips in Lowrance and or Hummingbird friendly formats too. That's how confidant they would move just in my store alone here in Fargo ND.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:25 AM
Minnow

Although this thread is old now but still relevant for many people in similar situation. If you have a budget of around 1000USd then you must get HUmminbird 9 Series. Yes I do agree that the lowrance offers touch screens but humminbird's 360 scanner is really amazing and is a game changesr. No other company from my knowledge is offering something as good as 360. So if you can afford then go for series 9. Other wise go for Raymarine DragonFLy series, that is also a reputable brand with authority and will give you many perks that high end fish finders are offering.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

Resurrecting an old thread? Shame we can't resurrect two of the folks who posted. Both Kevin and Eddie are no longer with us. They passed way too young.