Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
ION Ice Auger - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Notices

Old 01-11-2017, 06:11 AM
Minnow

I just recently purchased the k-drill 6" with the Milwaukee 2703-22 M18 drill and it has worked incredibly well! Being in the southern ice fishing zone (Nebraska) our ice is only about 8-10", however it cut through the ice quickly and easily. The biggest advantage I think is the ability to layer holes side by side (creating a bigger hole), which is why I got the 6". The 6" will save battery life too. The k-drill rips right through old holes too. Yes, you have to bring the battery in your hut or keep it on you so it stays warm, but the trade off versus a gas auger is the no smell and it is very quiet. You can set up your hut and drill right inside your hut where it is warm. HUGE benefit when it's cold out! It is light and very portable. I drilled over 20+ holes in 8" of ice and the battery was still over 3/4 full. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 06:56 AM
Slot Fish

Thanks for the information about the ION's freezing up. My buddy did sell his ION and we are getting a demo K-drill to test out next week. I don't think I will be trading in my Jiffy 3 hp for a K-drill setup but the lighter weight of the K-drill sure looks nice. I drill a lot of holes in a day and I don't think there is an electric auger setup that will last for the amount of hole that I punch through the ice.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:53 AM
Wallhanger

I posted this on the other forum a couple of days ago.

I just received my new electric setup, a Milwaukee Fuel 18 volt hammer drill with 5 amp batteries, 8" K-drill auger and a Clamplate. Even though I have a perfectly good Strikemaster 8" laser Power auger (that I love), I bought this set-up to use in my permanent ice shack to eliminate the smoke problem and to use if it will work as advertised in our cold environment, to take it in the ski-plane, in order to keep weight to a minimum, as apposed to a gas auger.

Yesterday was the maiden voyage for the new outfit, my mission was to find out how many holes the electric auger could drill on one (cold) 5 amp battery. Five of us took off in the morning to go lake trout fishing on a remote lake, we were on snowmobiles, the outside temp at the beginning of the trip was -29 c (-20 F) looking to get up to -21 c (-5 f) later in the morning (no, we don't use portable shelters). I was carrying the new electric auger and had my Strikemaster gas auger as backup. Upon arrival at the lake I drilled holes for everyone with the K-drill, I drilled 14 holes in a measured 14" of ice, we caught a few fish, but all were small, so we moved to another spot an hour later, we drilled another 5 holes and then ran out of power. I had drilled 3 holes the day before, so after 22 holes the battery was used up, the battery had been left on the drill in the cold the whole time, it was never warm.

My conclusion is that this unit with the 18 volt Milwaukee Fuel with the 5 amp battery lived up to my expectations (I am sure had I kept the battery warm it would have done even better). I would feel comfortable taking it along with a spare battery, flying an hour away and not be concerned that it would drill more holes than two or three of us would ever need, fishing for trout or walleye.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Keeper

I run a Milwaukee M18 fuel with the 5ah batteries to spin a Nils 6" auger and have been extremely impressed. For Iowa we do not get super thick ice so I went with the Nils Trekker which allows me the option to use the lower/short portion of the auger which makes it very compact,fast and with auger,battery and drill around 8 pounds total! Since getting this our other augers never leave the truck and it is far more reliable.
Minn Kota Terrova 80lb
2-Humminbird Helix 9
1-Humminbird Helix 5
Old 01-11-2017, 08:27 PM
Wallhanger

Freeze happens even with the gas augers. I always spin the auger when I remove it from the hole which help prevent blade freeze. I was out with my Ion last week with the temperature near zero and didn't have any freeze problems.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:36 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVIPEYE View Post
. Yes, you have to bring the battery in your hut or keep it on you so it stays warm, but the trade off versus a gas auger is the no smell and it is very quiet.
Simply not true. You may get better performance with a warm battery, but it will still drill like crazy with a cold one. In our Ontario camp, a few guys have had the ion augers, and they have experienced total failure when trying to drill with cold batteries. They have either had to set up shelters and warm their batteries or go borrow a k-drill/Milwaukee combo from someone. Mine gets strapped onto my sled and has drilled holes at -30f without issue. I am very pleased with it - and at 11lbs, it is easy on my back/neck.

SL
Old 01-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Minnow

Default Kdrill preference

My friend had an ION and sold it this past year because he had too many problems with the battery getting cold and then the ION wouldn't perform well. This year we are using a Kdrill with the Milaukee Fuel. We've cut up to 40 holes through 15" of ice in a day and haven't drained the battery yet. Hope this helps you make the best decision for you. Also, I have the 8" kdrill and leave the batteries in my car from day to day. Cold doesn't seem to have any significant impact on Kdrill w Milwaukee performance.

Last edited by Eldojb; 01-18-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 01-20-2017, 07:17 AM
Slot Fish

My buddy's K-drill/Milwaukee combo finally came in and WOW is that setup light. We had a chance to test it out the other night and we were able to drill 17 holes through 21" of ice on a battery. These holes were drilled without must rest in between each one. Drill a hole, move 10-15 feet and drill another hole, we were looking for the weed line. The drill is really light, cuts great, and felt more comfortable to use than the ION. If I had a permanent shack I would definitely have one of these, I just have a portable shack so I will hold on to my 3 HP Jiffy for now. If my Jiffy ever dies on me, I would have a very tough decision on whether to get another Jiffy or a K-drill/Milwaukee combo.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:37 AM
Wallhanger

My Ion has been bulletproof, zero problem and great for reopening holes.