Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dealing with the loss of your hunting buddy. - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki View Post
How to you folks deal with the loss of your dog?"

Time. Sometimes you have to shake yourself by the neck and realize how lucky you are it wasnt you or a human loved one.
That's cold and uncalled for. Some of us love our pets just as much as a human friend or relation. To us, they are just as important. If you can't show any sympathy for someone hurting, don't bother to post at all.

Just my opinion...

Juls
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2017 Ranger 621 FS
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 SI CHIRP Gen2
and Helix 10 DI CHIRP Gen2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

You grossly misundestood my msg. Obsolutely missed it by a mile.
Imagine what you just wrote being said to YOU. That's what you just did...
Old 10-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki View Post
You grossly misundestood my msg. Obsolutely missed it by a mile.
Thanks for the heads up. No harm no foul....You meant it one way, and I read it another, I suppose that will happen on message boards.

Juls
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2017 Ranger 621 FS
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 SI CHIRP Gen2
and Helix 10 DI CHIRP Gen2

Old 10-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

These thoughts and others helped distract my mind from the horror of losing my first Golden. I'm even closer with my current Golden and fear that day.

Last edited by Suzuki; 10-04-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Wallhanger

I don't do well coping with the loss. Best for me has been to get another dog within a week.
Not a replacement.. a NEW buddy.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Keeper

i lost my best dog he would jump over a 4 foot fence when i came home from work and sit by my car door till i opened it .on day he jumped over the fence and was hit by a car it was hard on me but a puppy did help my old setter was white and tan the ne one is black and white ringo will never repace buck but time will help
Old 01-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Keeper

Default Loss of a hunting buddy.

As a dog breeder and hunter we have all gone through this and it is not easy. My wife and i raised brittanies for 37 years and with us owning 9 for ourselves we have gone through this enough. We always watched who we sold puppies to and wanted references from possible owners of our pups. We did turn down close to 10 people over the 37 years just because we did not feel as though the dog was going to a good owner. It is one of the hardest things to do for a owner of a dog or cat. I had open heart surgery and came home only to find out that my youngest dog had a growth close to her heart and a small part of it was growing on the heart itself. After 3 weeks of treatment and $3200.00 later i still brought her home in a box. Two months later i had to put her mother down because of her age. These were mother and daughter and they slept with the wife and i but were hunting dogs the next day. I can tell you something about each of my dogs and this is what i remember them for just the way they something extra during the hunting trip. We both shed tears when the time comes but just remember to think of the positive things you had with your buddy. If someone tells you they do not shed a tear then that person was not a buddy to his best buddy. Hope this helps all that has gone through this time heals and it does get better.

Oh yes we no longer own a dog i take care of the neighbors dog i don't think i could go through another one.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Slot Fish

I stumbled on this thread and have to say what a cord all the comments hit with me. My wife and I were forced to make the toughest call of our lives December 8th of 2011. Our beloved Lab Carter who was 14 years old had reached the point where medical treatment at any expense was not going to help. Our vet who is a first class individual said to us that yesterday was his best day. Well I knew how bad "yesterday" was so the decision was made to end his suffering. It was the right decision but I felt all of the regret, anger, guilt, loss, suffering that many of you expressed feeling. I agree with everyone who said getting a puppy helps. Just bringing that light back into the home and having a sense of "normal" was a relief. A year later the loss of my buddy still hurts like ****. Nice to know I'm not alone, we are blessed to be able to feel what we lost.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Keeper

its hard lost my setter last fall but my other dog help with the loss its nice to have 2 dogsClick image for larger version

Name:	rainbow-bridge-poem.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	20553
Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskyhunter47 View Post
its hard lost my setter last fall but my other dog help with the loss its nice to have 2 dogsAttachment 20553
Wow, waht a great poem!