Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mississippi River Reports - Can it be Possible to sustain a thread? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Notices

Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Wallhanger

Default Pool 2

Pool 2 is low, but fishing has been decent. You can find fish in most of the typically late summer spots such as wingdams and current seams.

We did the best pitching jigs to the ends of wing dams, and picked up a few pulling plugs for a while too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Keeper

Due to family commitments I wasn't able to fish this weekend. I did however travel through Prairie Du Chien and it doesn't appear as though the boat ramps are safe. If you have a boat over 16 ft you may not be able to drop the boat. Many trailers were ruined this week with the dropping river level and the locals say it's supposed to drop another foot. Fishing may be great this fall but many may not be able to enjoy it with ramps too short and water loo low.....

Any luck this weekend?

houndog
Old 09-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Keeper

We're headed to Pool 18 this weekend because I know I can unload and load my boat.

Does anyone know what the ramp conditions are up north?

houndog

Old 09-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Wallhanger

I would be all for an ongoing Mississippi River report thread and will offer up as much info. as I can which will be less than I'd like. I usually fish pools 13 & 14 and have had zero success recently with walleye or sauger. Part of it may be due to the fact that I have been fishing with my 5 year old son.

A bit of history if I may; I have lived in this area and hunted and fished all my life but am somewhat new to fishing the river, I've done it off and on for years but still I have pretty limited experience. I didn't have an old "River Rat" to teach me, just started out a buddy and I trying to learn ourselves. This buddy and I still get out once in a while but for the most part I fish alone or with my son.

A long story shortened. More than ever I want to get much better at finding fish all year long on this area of the river mostly because of my son. Sure, I'd like to be able to have success for myself but more for my son than anything else. My son became "fish crazy" this year and I would like nothing more than to keep him hooked for life, some success would sure help.

So, I will help where I can and will take as much help as others are willing to offer.

houndog, I have been using ramps in Clinton, Sabula and Savanna to launch my 1850 Reata. The ramp at the north end of the dike in Clinton and just south of the bridge in Savanna should be fine unless things get real bad. Just this last Thursday I used the ramp at the South Lake campground in Sabula, it worked but that whole area is real shallow, skeg was in the mud at the end of the dock.

Quote from Rob Olson
Delta Waterfowl President
Old 09-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Slot Fish

Houndog, The ramp at Sunset park in Rock Island for pool 16 is fine. I am all for this Mississippi river thread and will help whenever I can. Lets keep it going.
MinnKota Vantage 24 volt 80 lb. thrust at stern
MinnKota Talon 12 foot Shallow Water Anchor
Lowrance HDS 8 Gen 2 For Sonar at control center
Lowrance HDS 8 Gen 2 For Structure Scan at control center
Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 1 For Chart at control center
Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 2 at bow
Lowrance LGC 4000 GPS Antenna
Lowrance LSS-2 Structure Scan
Old 09-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Keeper

I had no problem with the ramp in Muscatine yesterday. I did however have problems finding fish with size. We landed small eyes and saugers with jigs and minnows fishing wing dams and the tailwater. Too early yet for the larger girls to move in with a meal on the mind.

Thanks to all who participate!

houndog
Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Keeper

phowler: I doubt the 5 year old has much to do with it.

This should be one of the best fall seasons for eyes on the Mississippi given the water levels but its provided we can use the ramps. The weather just isn't cooperating yet but this weeks forecast should bring on some appetite!

Let's keep the info rolling!

houndog
Old 09-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Keeper

chode2235; Are things beginning to take off up north? I'd think your water temp should be dropping.

houndog
Old 09-21-2012, 05:17 AM
Keeper

Major cold front on the way. We'll be fishing pools 9 and 17 this weekend. Let's try to share what we learn. I doubt my son and I will be the only fishermen on the water............

houndog

"A man's got to know his limitations"
Old 09-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Keeper

Gave up before we started yesterday due to wind.

We fished pool 17 today with a little success. We didn't boat any walleyes only sauger. The water temp is still 65 degrees. The sauger were in 15 fow in low current areas near the dam. It seemed as though you had to fish the break line between sand and rock. If we moved very far off action stopped.

Bottom bouncers with slow death hooks, no spinners or smiles worked best.

Jigs produced nothing today.

houndog

"A mans got to know his limitations"