Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Balancing Trailer Tires.... - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 08-16-2016, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
I thought balancing was for ride comfort in vehicle. I would not waste my money.
Balancing is to reduce vibration and every boat and skid loader trailer I have owned has had the tires balanced and it made a difference in how they easily they pulled.
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2016, 08:28 PM
Wallhanger

Absolutely balance trailer tires,good way to ruin em and shake yer tow vechile to no end.
Derek LaPointe #7
Old 08-16-2016, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Shoreland'r Reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOS View Post
Well, it just so happens I got my 2017 Shorelandr Custom (by Lund) last week, Aug. 11th. There are no balancing weights on any of the three wheels, inside or out. I am contacting Shorelandr to see what they might have to say on the issue. Thanks, Gregory
Hi Gregory:
Midwest Industries purchases the tires mounted on the rims from Carlisle tire company. All tires above the 5.30X12 size are supposed to be balanced. All tire warranty including balancing is done through Carlisle tire company and you may contact Carlisle at 800-260-7959 for services.
Midwest Industries does recommend balancing the tires for smoother ride and wear of the tires.
Gary
Clientele 37463

Old 08-17-2016, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Well, the short answer to having the Carlisle tires balanced on my Shorelandr trailer is this: Carlisle said to have it done locally and fax them the invoice for said work and they will reimburse me 100%.
Gregory
Old 08-27-2016, 10:22 AM
Minnow

Hub Centric vs Lug Centric

My wheels were lug-centric.....No lug-nuts......mine have tapered bolts....so that's how they're centered....

They are not like car, or LT wheels.....the shop I believe had to use an adapter like this that actually, and truly balances a lug-centric wheel and tire....you'll have to call around
to find a place...but yes get them balanced...

Auto and Light Truck wheels are different than Trailer Wheels -- different safety specs and tolerances

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=labsW0OP8cA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb_zynG-HlU#t=13

Click image for larger version

Name:	LUG Centric.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	225921

Atlas Universal Adapter (UA) is designed for wheels that have either a closed center or wheels that are made "without a true center" and classified as lug-centric.

Hope this helps,

New One

Last edited by New One; 08-27-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Of course it is like that.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:14 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Of course it is like that.
Huh ? ? ?
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 09-15-2016, 10:39 PM
Keeper

Don't waste your money.
First time you haul the trailer unloaded the weighs will bounce off.

Balancing serves no purpose, the wheels are not balanced, the springs are not conditioned (shocks). Your trailer tires have a stiffer sidewall than your truck tires, balancing isn't going to change a thing in how the tire rolls down the road. Not for a boat trailer. IF you really are concerned, balancing the load on the trailer will do more for tire longevity than balancing the tires.

IF you want to waste money and feel good, get them Road Force balanced. This is where they make the egg shape of the tire and the egg shape of the wheel counter act each other and reduce the road force. Yes, your tire is shaped like an egg, every tire is shaped like an egg. You can't see it with the naked eye, but the machine can detect the out-of-roundness. Yes, I used to work in a service center and learned a great deal about tires. Regardless, the wheel is still unbalanced. Did the shop do a lug-centric balance? If not, you still didn't get them balanced. Yes, there is a special tool for lug-centric balancing. Wal-Mart and most other tire shops don't have the proper equipment to lug-centric balance wheels, let alone have a Road Force balancer.

Here is an article to help explain; Road Force, balance, sidewall stiffness, etc.
http://www.tirereview.com/when-is-it-overkill/
This one has a video explaining the concept of Road Force balance.
http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...orce_balancing

Last edited by Hanr3; 09-15-2016 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Hanr,
Really, no balancing weight for the trailer tires?

I have followed trailers where the tires were so out of balance that the tires were bouncing off of the road.

Then, after balancing, the tires were rolling smooth as silk.

If a weight bounces off, then another one needs to be put back on.

I think that you will find that there are hundreds of thousands of trailers that have had their tires balanced and when it came time to install new tires, still have the weights in exactly the same place as they were when originally balanced.

I will continue to balance my trailer tires as will all of my friends who like to have a smooth rolling trailer.

p.s.
As you know, trailer tires and vehicle tires do not have to meet the same standard. So, whenever I purchase a new trailer, I have each of the wheels checked for wobble and out of round. If one or more is too far off; I will pitch it and buy another wheel that is round and does not wobble before putting tires on the wheel.

Good luck
Old 09-16-2016, 06:06 PM
Wallhanger

Could be one of the few times I agree totally with REW on something......balancing tires is really a no brainier for everyone.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra