Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Wheel Alignment ??? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 12-29-2016, 05:38 PM
Keeper

Default Wheel Alignment ???

While doing some research on new wheels and tires for the trailer, I stumbled onto a posting that spoke about the trailer and wheel alignment. I would be greatly interested in hearing if anyone else has had this done and where would one go to get something like this done. I have a tandem axle trailer and did notice that one tire did have uneven tire wear. The outer edge slightly more worn then the rest of the tire. It was the front right tire of the trailer. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Happy New Year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2016, 08:53 PM
Wallhanger

I just went to a local independant alignment shop, after a former friend drove my trailer up and over a 16" curb/wall. Destroyed the tire and rim on my single axle trailer. They put it into their alignment jig, used the lasers on it, and bent the main axle as needed to get everything straight again. Can't remember cost, but it wasn't very expensive. Call around to your local auto alignment shops, or custom trailer shops.

Here's a link to how to do some basic checking on your own: http://www.centrevilletrailer.com/ho...ler-tire-wear/
Old 01-01-2017, 11:58 AM
Keeper

Default Thank you

Thank you for the information. Were they able to work on the trailer with the boat on it ?

Old 01-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsNFeet View Post
Thank you for the information. Were they able to work on the trailer with the boat on it ?
I've had trailers aligned by a place called Kraemer Spring in MN. They have done 2 boat trailers for me with the boats on them.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:01 AM
Keeper

Default Replaced Axle

I have an EZ loader, we hit a bad pothole after that it kept blowing tires after about 1500 miles. I removed the axle (which was too light for the boat) and noticed it was slightly bent. I replaced it with a heavier axle which has resolved the problem.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:42 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsNFeet View Post
Not an issue for them - they said a lot of their business was from trailers, with boats on them.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:14 PM
Keeper

Default Thanks everyone

Thank you all for the great info. It is certainly worth looking into and as long as it isn't a major expense, it will keep the old girl moving down the road.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:21 PM
Keeper

I had mine done at a regular brake and axle shop here in town. They did it with the boat on the trailer. If I remember, it seems like it was around $300 for both axles. Prior to alignment, I was going through 4 tires every 2 years. Now, I haven't replaced tires for 5 yrs., so it more than paid for itself.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

I've paid $125. to $175. for single axle boat trailers, depending on the size of the trailer and type of suspension. Dual Axle skid loader trailers about $250.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:11 PM
Keeper

I will certainly check it out, those numbers are doable and as mentioned will pay for itself with the longevity of the four tires I should get additional time with. Thanks again fellas.