Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
ION Ice Auger - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Notices

Old 12-31-2016, 11:10 AM
Wallhanger

Default ION Ice Auger

My 20 plus year old StrikeMaster Lazer cracked a piston. It's been a great unit although not entirely problem free and it is pretty beat up. I'm thinking about replacing it with an ION 40 battery powered unit. I rarely drill more than 10 holes in a day so I believe if what the ads say is true I'd have plenty of power for my needs. Any of you who own an ION have a review or comment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 04:27 PM
Slot Fish

In my group of regular ice fishing friends, we have a couple of ions, 2 k-drills with Milwaukee fuel drills, and a couple older strikemasters. The electric guys are all happy, and the gas guys are slowly changing over to electric. Personally, I prefer the kdrill, but the ion guys are pleased with their units. The kdrill/Milwaukee combo is something like 11lbs and the ion is 22. Carrying an 11 lb auger around is pretty sweet.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:22 AM
Minnow

I've drilled 30-40 holes in 2'+, I'm extremely happy with mine. The new ion x is supposed to have 60% more battery capacity and the new batteries fit the old ion model. Make sure you have a spare set of blades, if they get a ding they don't cut at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-03-2017, 07:46 PM
Wallhanger

I bought the Ion X. Was pushing through 24 inches of ice with no problem. I drilled approximately 20 holes. Very convenient to use. Snap in the battery and go.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:08 AM
Keeper

I tried an ion for the first time last week. Guy fishing with us brought one out. Drilled a hole through 5" and it took a loooong time. went back to the cordless drill and punched the rest of the holes with that. (I don't know which model, battery etc. etc. he had) but I was a little surprised. Couldn't imagine using that in a foot + of ice. But again I'm sure there are better models out there.

Glad you are enjoying yours.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 AM
guest 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfraze10 View Post
I tried an ion for the first time last week. Guy fishing with us brought one out. Drilled a hole through 5" and it took a loooong time. went back to the cordless drill and punched the rest of the holes with that. (I don't know which model, battery etc. etc. he had) but I was a little surprised. Couldn't imagine using that in a foot + of ice. But again I'm sure there are better models out there.

Glad you are enjoying yours.
His Ion must have had a bad set of blades. Mine takes less than 5 seconds to drill through 10" of ice.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:13 AM
Slot Fish

Default blade freeze up

Has anybody had troubles with their ION and their blades freezing up after drilling holes? A friend of mine hates his ION because the blades freeze up and you have to chip the ice off with a rubber hammer. He has had the ION for less than a month and has less than 100 holes on it and he is think about trading it in on a K-drill.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:44 AM
guest 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-walleye View Post
Has anybody had troubles with their ION and their blades freezing up after drilling holes? A friend of mine hates his ION because the blades freeze up and you have to chip the ice off with a rubber hammer. He has had the ION for less than a month and has less than 100 holes on it and he is think about trading it in on a K-drill.
Mine has iced up before, but not with any regularity. Just hit the button after you raise it out of the hole and spin the slush off. My old auger was a Strikemaster Lazer 224 with shaver blades and it would happen with that also on occasion.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Bigstorm and Bigstorm2

If yo have the ION X (new this year), there is an issue with the casting near the blades, something is wrong with the finish on the casting. It will ice up to the point where you cannot drill a hole when the temps are in the single digits. ION is aware of the issue and is working with people that have this issue. I called them last week on Wednesday and the new 8" bit for mine showed up yesterday.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:43 AM
Keeper

I have had an ion for past 3 years.....works great and highly recommend it for anyone with a wheel house or for the guy that just goes out and drills a set of holes and is done for the day.

If the ion battery gets cold, it will just plan stop drilling. I keep the battery inside of my heated truck until I am ready to drill. It will drill a lot of holes on a single charge (up to 40), and the charge will last a long time. I didnt even charge it this year when i went out for the first time.

This is not the auger you want if you are a guy that is runnin and gunnin all day in a portable (the battery will eventually get cold).

I also have a strikemaster Lazer that i have had for about 15-20 years and is still kickin.