Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Irritating Fishing Partners - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Wallhanger

Default Irritating Fishing Partners

We all have had them. So without naming names, what has happened in YOUR boat that has ticked you off or even made you want to choke the person? I have a couple of note. First there is my buddy that can't seem to keep from spilling his morning coffee and the carpet in my boat has the stains to prove it! The next one is down right dangerous and was injured when this bad habit went wrong. We do a lot of river fishing and it's not unusual for both of us to make an errant cast or two, getting hung up in shore brush. Rather than wait to go retrieve the lure my partner starts jerking with gusto. Last year the lure came free and with the slingshot effect the plug hit me in the throat, making me almost speechless for an hour. When I could talk again I had some choice words for him! But......I've been friends with him since grade school and can't imagine not having him in the boat with me. What are you going to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Minnow

I know the feeling..........I'v got one that has made me mad so many times, has a trash mouth and just can't hardly be around him anymore.

I know nobody is perfect but.....

I think it's time for me to start fishing by myself more.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:56 PM

Interesting topic. As I've gotten older I expect I've become less tolerant but....at the same time have come to understand how valuable friendships are. As a result I'm pretty forgiving. Having said that, the one characteristic that I can't abide is a slacker or someone that just won't pitch in to help. Someone who watches everyone else load and unload the boat or makes a bee line from the dock to the cabin to sit and wait for dinner to be served usually hears some gentle chiding from me and, if they don't "get it" are left wondering why they never get another invitation. Not knowing what to do is one thing (we will help teach them) but lazy is a whole other issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Slot Fish

The worst is the person who continually says "ya I know.....". When its painfully clear they know not a thing!

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
Old 07-17-2014, 12:44 AM
Keeper

Years ago we were fishing on leech. A friend of mine, who rarely fished, tagged along in the boat for the day. Even though he had little experience it did not deter him from telling myself and our other partner (who also had several years experience) how to "fish".

So, first thing I see is his rod and reel. Thing looked like it could land a shark. Literally. I asked about the setup and he proceeded to tell us how much smarter he was because he would never lose a fish to a broken line. Micro Dyneema was widely available and he found some 80 lb test, no kidding. The rest of the gear was equally as absurd. But no arguing with the" expert ". LOL.

So, we roll up on our first spot and get ready to rig. I decided we should throw cranks and cover some water. Of course the expert had no cranks so he literally grabs one out of the hand of the other guy. Since it was the crank he planned to use he was mildly upset but without too much fuss he just grabbed another hook to use.

The "expert " snapped the book onto his already in place 200 lb wire leader and began casting before we had even deployed the trolling motor.

As he is retrieving his first cast I glance down at the water and behind his hook I see a musky follow. I frantically told him to figure eight as the hook and fish were right beside the boat. He stops reeling and looks at me, no idea what figure eight means. To my surprise I watch as the musky hammers this now still crank. The "expert" simply reared back on this shark pole and lifts in musky, hook and all. The whole works drops in the back of the boat with him and the other guy. I was fortunate to be up on the casting deck when all **** broke loose. The "expert" who was in the middle of the boat hightailed it to the bow and just stood there. Rod and gear were being tossed about and the hook was ripping the interior to shreds. Tackle boxes were flying, coolers were being dumped and our lunch was being strewn across the bottom of the boat. Any open beverage was upended and rapidly emptied their contents into the carpet on the floor. This was one green, pissed off fish. Oh, did I mention that it was 48"?

The "expert" stood idly by while myself and the other guy tried to subdue and release this fish, hopefully with all fingers in tact. We were able to get this fish under control and remove the hooks, but it was no fun. The "expert" did nothing but snap pics of his "trophy".

We finally get the fish back in the water and by the grace of God it is still alive and OK. With a thrust of his tail he is gone. My other fishing partner turns and starts to tell the "expert" to play the fish a bit before heaving them into the boat, but he is not listening. He had already cast his hook out again and was busy retrieving it. As we watched, he again got a strike, this one about ten feet from the boat. He once again rears back and with two quick turns off the reel handle, he heaves fish number two over the side of the boat. This one was "only" an 8 pound walleye.

Again we have to corral the fish and unhook it as he offers no assistance. Once the fish was unhooked he snaps a couple pics and then reaches for his rod to start fishing again. LOL!

At this point we have not even attached a hook to our lines. Before he could get off his next cast my fishing partner grabbed his rod and removed his hook. Guess he had enough. LOL.

For the rest of the trip we had to listen to his account of catching his trophies. All the while bragging that even though he rarely fished, unlike us, he was clearly the "expert". At the time it really burned me up, but in retrospect it is kind of funny.

So now, when someone asks me how to fish walleye I always tell them to start with a 7 foot ultra heavy rod, 80 lb line and a reel the size of an electric winch. Oh, and any further lessons can be had free of charge from the "expert". What the heck do I know? LOL

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Terrova 112 w/ i-pilot link
Humminbird 1199
Humminbird 959CI
Talon 12'

Last edited by garage_logician; 07-17-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:21 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage_logician View Post
Years ago we were fishing on leech. A friend of mine, who rarely fished, tagged along in the boat for the day. Even though he had little experience it did not deter him from telling myself and our other partner (who also had several years experience) how to "fish".

So, first thing I see is his rod and reel. Thing looked like it could land a shark. Literally. I asked about the setup and he proceeded to tell us how much smarter he was because he would never lose a fish to a broken line. Micro Dyneema was widely available and he found some 80 lb test, no kidding. The rest of the gear was equally as absurd. But no arguing with the" expert ". LOL.

So, we roll up on our first spot and get ready to rig. I decided we should throw cranks and cover some water. Of course the expert had no cranks so he literally grabs one out of the hand of the other guy. Since it was the crank he planned to use he was mildly upset but without too much fuss he just grabbed another hook to use.

The "expert " snapped the book onto his already in place 200 lb wire leader and began casting before we had even deployed the trolling motor.

As he is retrieving his first cast I glance down at the water and behind his hook I see a musky follow. I frantically told him to figure eight as the hook and fish were right beside the boat. He stops reeling and looks at me, no idea what figure eight means. To my surprise I watch as the musky hammers this now still crank. The "expert" simply reared back on this shark pole and lifts in musky, hook and all. The whole works drops in the back of the boat with him and the other guy. I was fortunate to be up on the casting deck when all **** broke loose. The "expert" who was in the middle of the boat hightailed it to the bow and just stood there. Rod and gear were being tossed about and the hook was ripping the interior to shreds. Tackle boxes were flying, coolers were being dumped and our lunch was being strewn across the bottom of the boat. Any open beverage was upended and rapidly emptied their contents into the carpet on the floor. This was one green, pissed off fish. Oh, did I mention that it was 48"?

The "expert" stood idly by while myself and the other guy tried to subdue and release this fish, hopefully with all fingers in tact. We were able to get this fish under control and remove the hooks, but it was no fun. The "expert" did nothing but snap pics of his "trophy".

We finally get the fish back in the water and by the grace of God it is still alive and OK. With a thrust of his tail he is gone. My other fishing partner turns and starts to tell the "expert" to play the fish a bit before heaving them into the boat, but he is not listening. He had already cast his hook out again and was busy retrieving it. As we watched, he again got a strike, this one about ten feet from the boat. He once again rears back and with two quick turns off the reel handle, he heaves fish number two over the side of the boat. This one was "only" an 8 pound walleye.

Again we have to corral the fish and unhook it as he offers no assistance. Once the fish was unhooked he snaps a couple pics and then reaches for his rod to start fishing again. LOL!

At this point we have not even attached a hook to our lines. Before he could get off his next cast my fishing partner grabbed his rod and removed his hook. Guess he had enough. LOL.

For the rest of the trip we had to listen to his account of catching his trophies. All the while bragging that even though he rarely fished, unlike us, he was clearly the "expert". At the time it really burned me up, but in retrospect it is kind of funny.

So now, when someone asks me how to fish walleye I always tell them to start with a 7 foot ultra heavy rod, 80 lb line and a reel the size of an electric winch. Oh, and any further lessons can be had free of charge from the "expert". What the heck do I know? LOL

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
that's one of the best stories I've ever heard
Old 07-17-2014, 06:25 AM
Keeper

sportdog....this person is abusing your 'friendship' ,plain and simple. he feels as if he can do whatever and it will be okay. would not happen in my boat! leave him home, and he may get the message. if not,you might have to explain it to him. it could be distasteful, but necessary. a true friend would not do these things. 5
Old 07-17-2014, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Garage,
But the irony of your story is that the fellow did catch some very good fish with heavy rod, reel and line.

So, who was using the right or wrong equipment?

It makes one wonder doesn't it.

By the way, 80 lb braid is the line that is normally used around here by Musky fishermen, as is XXH rods and reels.

Stranger things happen every day.

Be safe
Old 07-17-2014, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Life's too short to fish with anyone you find annoying, so I don't. I have friends that I love like my brothers, but that doesn't mean I want to fish with them.

Maybe they don't want to fish with me, either. Hmmmm......

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 07-17-2014, 07:18 AM
Wallhanger

Exclamation

Paid for 3 day license
Paid for the food
Paid for the fuel
Paid for the hotel
Paid for the Bait
Paid for the "hot" lures for the day
Spending the day watching Dad sleep on the bow 'priceless'

Last edited by Zander Man; 08-01-2014 at 07:34 PM.