Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
looking at zero turns - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Wallhanger

Default looking at zero turns

My wife and I are bidding on a house that sits on 2.27 acres. We havnt finalized on anything yet but we know we are looking at houses on bigger lots. There are alot of islands and landscaping with this house. I have been reading up on all diff brands of zero turns and my head os spinning. I am partial to simplicity as my old man bought a sim the same year that I was born (83) and it still runs to this day, alittle rough but its still running..He has replaced it with a simplicity diesel that he loves.

Who own a zero turn? What kind? what size?

What size should I be looking it with 2.27 acres? Anything I should look for or stay away from?

I am checking out craigslist but would be willing to buy new if the price was right...thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Wallhanger

I cut about 5 acres around lots of trees and I had a Dixon zero turn and got sick of fixing it so I bought a Scag turf tiger with a 60" deck and 27 HP Liquid cooled Kawasaki. Great machine, cuts fast and don't have to work on it. I put about 100 hours on it a year. Also they are made locally in Mayville WI
Old 03-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Brands like Dixon, Scag, as well as some of the newer toros can work well for you. Of course the commercial John Deere are also another option.

Normally, something like a 54 inch cut with a 30hp motor would be about a good starting point for your lot.

Good luck
REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Wallhanger

Scag is currently running a special pricing and financing (0%) on their Pro-V (go with the 52"). I bought one last year and mow just under 3 acres a week (3 separate lots). Lots of driveways, curbs, islands and I can finish all three in about an hour (plus or minus 15 min depending on wetness, grass height, etc). Get a stand-on sulky/velke to use.

http://www.scag.com/prov/prov_promo.html
Old 03-05-2012, 07:08 AM
Wallhanger

Take a look at Cub also. They make a tractor style zero turn, I think they are the only one that does. Very comfortable and it has a bagger. Also it doesn't break the bank like Walker and some of the other good ones. IMO though, you can never go wrong with Simplicity.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 AM
MK cant log

Another vote for Scag.

Built like a tank; easy to maintain.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Minnow

I own an Ariens 52" with 26 HP Kawasaki. No problems and cuts my acre in 45 minutes. Love it!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

I have a Cub Cadet Z-Force Zero Turn. Mine is the 52" deck, and somewhere around 23 hp (??) Kohler motor.

I don't have a great deal of lawn to mow, but I have some rental properties within blocks of my residence, so it's a convenient 'get it done' approach, and a business expense.

I like mine, I like it fine. But - after driving a "Grasshopper" Z-Turn mower, I would much prefer the Grasshopper brand. I will likely never get to own one, because the Cub Cadet is a good quality mower, and will likely last me long enough to get me to "too old to mow lawn" or "dead".

I feel the way Grasshopper distributes weight on the drive wheels significantly increases manuverability without tearing up the lawn from the tires. I have no idea what they cost. Most Z-Turns are on the upper end of pricing.

http://www.grasshoppermower.com/
Old 03-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Keeper

If you've got the budget and want a bulletproof machine, I have found nothing that compares to a Walker. They're a commercial mower but for good sized areas they are great for residential use too.

http://www.walkermowers.com/
Old 03-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Wallhanger

Default Dixie Chopper

I cut about 2 acres and use a 52" 25hp Dixie chopper....in the 10 years I have owned it have just had to keep it greased sharpen the blades and change the oil and filter and had to replaced the battery once ...they are expensive but IMO worth it.....B-lou