Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Killer crawler alternatives - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-21-2016, 06:16 AM
Keeper

Default Killer crawler alternatives

What are some plastics that you are using on slow death that aren't the killer crawler?? I've just started using this method due to pesky bull gills/pirhanas that will destroy a nightcrawler in a second. They will also pick a killer crawler apart as they don't seem to be very durable. I'm experiencing single fish durability with them and they may be a whitebass or walleye. Sometimes, a gill will hook itself and have the killer crawler destroyed.

Thanks for any info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2016, 05:37 PM
Keeper

Talking

I have used Pork crawler, Gulp 6" crawler (natural and chartreuse), and B Fishn 6" paddle tails all with pretty good success.

I agree the killer crawler only last 2-3 bites while the others mentioned above last anyywhere from 10-25 bites.

Hope this helps.
Humminbird onix 8 touch
Ulterra with link
2008 Mercury 4 stroke kicker
Old 06-21-2016, 10:09 PM
Keeper

Bought several jars of the killer Crawler as tho be perfect for slow death. They ended up In the garbage by end of the season along with "pinched Crawler". Like you said WAY to soft and if it only last one fish might well run the real deal.

So now it is 3" fry (not many shops carry it) or 4" Crawler. Either is my favorite but key I find is adding more bend in hook. I run the trokar re-vovle. More expensive but feel the hook stays way sharper longer if you encounter structure. Hard to explain but I place the bend part on my index finger and keep bending the hook. Mustad has super death hook out now made for plastics also. My hooks usually have a huge difference in the bend after I do this but it will really get the Crawler spinning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2016, 05:18 AM
Keeper

Thanks for the info