Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Oahe - Page 7 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by no dak angler View Post
the 50,000 anglers your are referring to above are just North Dakota numbers - so your facts are wrong

Oh, I thought that said that was total fishing visitors to the Missouri River and Lake Oahe...meaning all of Lake Oahe, not just ND. But if that is the case I stand corrected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017, 12:12 PM
Keeper

Found this:

Estimated fishing pressure for the South Dakota portion of Lake Oahe was
738,360 h. Angling pressure was lower than the 10 year average (778,617 h). An
estimated 571,664 walleye were caught in Lake Oahe during the May-July 2015 period.
Anglers harvested 56% of walleye caught or 308,513 fish, which was lower than the 10
year average of 350,446 walleye.

Came from this, the most recent numbers available:

http://gfp.sd.gov/fishing-boating/ta...ualFishPop.pdf

You can read the entire report. It is interesting, and a little hopeful.

So, my estimate was actually high, but not off by much.

Heading up there with the boat and trailer next week.

Last edited by Fisher-man; 04-21-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:06 AM
Minnow

Default Oahe

There is some very thoughtful discussion here that clearly comes from experienced sportsmen and folks generally concerned.

Rowdie22, you made a good point on my reference to over-management and then mentioning potential management option. I call it over- management because I know I am not qualified to call it mis or poor management, yet it my gut and heart that is more accurate. I know caution can't be thrown to the wind and there has to be some rules to the game, I think the rules are where a major problem lies.

Brentfrank, sharing your own transition from a 16' boat and green box flasher to what sounds like beautiful equipment really exemplifies what has happened to most of us who are avid anglers and I think one can see how these changes by many of us have made populations of biting fish much more vulnerable.

Clearly dollars drive the fisheries, tourism dollars, licensing dollars, local economy dollars, etc. etc. I don't know if that in itself is necessarily bad but I am certain it contributes to the management decisions.

I think we all probably can agree that changes in technology, particularly communication technology to give real-time updates, invites, and reports dramatically changes things. Again, I can't say that it's good or bad, but it is immensely different and cannot do anything but have a HUGE effect on a fishery, whether a lake, river system, or reservoir system.

With great respect for well-educated folks trying to manage fish resources I do think that it is likely that not enough consideration or credence is given to the fact that far and away, most anglers and fishing enthusiasts are first and foremost sportsmen (sportspersons); and I also propose that most would be just fine with catch and release, or very minimal limits, in exchange for tying into some good fish. I recognize that may not be true for all but if we continue to fail to miss the mark on the pressure on the fisheries (which may not be able to be accurately measured by bodies and licenses alone because factors such as technology and communication have to be considered as well) ours will be a culture of asking where the 15 inchers are and content if or when that is achieved. I am fearful that we are seeing that already and that it is resulting in an acceptable lower bar of achievement for those in control.