Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fishing line of choice? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 12-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Minnow

Default Fishing line of choice?

I'm planning on getting new line for all my reels and I'm wondering what everyone's favorite choice of line is and why. I want to see if I should be switching

I usually have 4 rod/reels in the boat:

Trolling: Berkley® Trilene XT® Extra Tough™ Line
Jigging: P-Line® Floroclear Fishing Line
Light Lures: (such as super rooster or a small storm):SpiderWire® Stealth™ Braided Fishing Line
Heavy Lures: (such as a lucky craft 100 DD): SpiderWire® Stealth™ Braided Fishing Line

Every once in a while I'll bring a "muskie" rod to toss giant baits that I use the berkley on too.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:53 PM
Keeper

We are hooked on Power Pro........small diameter line for larger diameter power. No stretch so you can feel the bites. Got turned onto it by flats fishermen in Florida............can load more on the spool preventing getting spooled out.

Used it in Canada.......wonderful.

mj
Old 01-01-2009, 08:05 AM
Wallhanger

Trolling: Berkley XT 10 lbs
Jigging: Fireline (Flame Green) 6 lbs
Casting: Power Pro 30 Braid, White

I am cahanging all of my casting reels to Power Pro because it stays round. The Spiderwire tends to flatten out over time, which I believe makes it bury into itself when a backlash occurs. Just my $0.02.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 05:02 PM
JIGWALLEYE

Berkley fireline crystal or power pro
Old 01-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Wallhanger

All the Jigging and rigging rods all have either Power Pro or Fire Line, I like them both. All the slip bobber rods have mono, and the downrigger and planer board rods all have 20 or 30lb big game mono. I have a couple of musky rods with Fireline and a couple with mono. The fireline has alittle more bulk then Power pro and does not cut into the spool a much. If I'm in ultra clear water I will put a barrel swivel on and 20 - 25 in's for floro carbon leader. Most of the time I can not detect a difference with power pro of fireline tied directly to the jig.

good luck
GF
Old 01-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Slot Fish

Thumbs up Fishing Line

Vertical Jigging: Fireline (Flame Green) 4#
Pan Fishing P Line CXX (Moss Green) 4#
Shore Fishing P Line CXX (Moss Green) 63
Muskie Fishing PowerPro 80#

Peace
WEFish
Old 01-02-2009, 05:55 AM
Wallhanger

I have the big filler spool of PowerPro in the 50# = I use this on my heavy pike rods as well as my summer dipsey diver salmon rods.
I have the big filler spool of 10#XT that go on all my big water walleye trolling rods (which I dont even take to canada).
My medium spinning rods have a spools of 10 # Powerpro on them but I also keep spools of 8# XT and 6# Cajun Red.
Powerpro, to me, is every bit as good as the Spiderwire but cheaper and comes in the big spools, that I can get wholesale!!

lobo1
Old 01-02-2009, 07:44 AM
Slot Fish

Chalk another up for power pro. I have tried a lot of braids and it is by far the best. I also have some stren magnathin on some rods.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Wallhanger

The old timer in me still uses Cortland for muskies and northerns, Stren blue for pan fish and for some of my walleye rods, as in some cases I like the bit of stretch it offers.

I also have a few of the bass and walleye rigs set up with Power Pro, seems to work well but I don't like that type of line well enough to string all my rods with it.

Seems each line has its good and bad points, and personal preference probably plays a big part in what kind of line to use.

Al
Old 01-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Over the last few years I've migrated to Power-Pro on everything except one jigging rod. On it I still enjoy jigging with mono. Still sometimes use braided when jigging as it has tremendous feedback, but mono is my jigging pick day in and day out. If I can get a way with 6# test I will. Otherwise I have to go with 8# for the rocky Canadian lakes.

Power-Pro (15#) for trolling, bottom bouncing, casting plugs or anything else you can do with a baitcaster. I also have power-pro on a couple of spinning reels for throwing plugs that are too light for a bait caster.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."