Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New guy needs prop and motor height help - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 04-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Minnow

Default New guy needs prop and motor height help

Please help. I purchased a 2011 Lund 1625XL sport with a 60 hp Merc. I believe the first prop on it was a 10.3 x 13 (from dealer). I couldn't plane out with 3 people in the boat unless someone moved to the front (all about 190). Went to a Solas Rubex 11.4 x 12. By myself I get a fair hole shot and 32mph (gps). BUT I'm at 6100 and I can push the throttle down quite a bit more but engine doesn't go any faster or change sound. Even with two guys 200lbs and a full livewell I get the same. I can go up 3 holes. When I am at full throttle I can NOT see the anticav plate at all.
I know there are tons of factors so a little more info. I have only two batteries both in back. In the bow I have a minnkota 55# troll and a 20lb anchor. 4 seat and 3/4 tank of fuel.
Top speed is not that big of a factor to me, I am worried about my RPMs.
What would you all recomend and in what order?
Help please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 06:46 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by countylineshooter View Post
Please help. I purchased a 2011 Lund 1625XL sport with a 60 hp Merc. I believe the first prop on it was a 10.3 x 13 (from dealer). I couldn't plane out with 3 people in the boat unless someone moved to the front (all about 190). Went to a Solas Rubex 11.4 x 12. By myself I get a fair hole shot and 32mph (gps). BUT I'm at 6100 and I can push the throttle down quite a bit more but engine doesn't go any faster or change sound. Even with two guys 200lbs and a full livewell I get the same. I can go up 3 holes. When I am at full throttle I can NOT see the anticav plate at all.
I know there are tons of factors so a little more info. I have only two batteries both in back. In the bow I have a minnkota 55# troll and a 20lb anchor. 4 seat and 3/4 tank of fuel.
Top speed is not that big of a factor to me, I am worried about my RPMs.
What would you all recomend and in what order?
Help please.
We had a guy in yesterday with same boat. He was running a 15 pitch aluminum at 31-32 mph and had bad holeshot. Switch him to a quicksilver nemesis 4 blade aluminum 14 pitch and cut his planing time in half and top speed went to 35 mph. It also handled nuch better and cornered much better. He was also very heavy loaded and running 24 volt system with 3 batteries in back.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Been there, done that. I went through the same experience with a 60 4S on my 17' tiller, and went thru the same prop pitch exercise you're going thru now. Honestly, you only real choice is to settle on a 12" pitch prop, and just avoid the temptation to over-rev it. You might want to put your 13" back on, and add a hydrofoil, or maybe try the new Mercury Spitfire 4-blade in a 13" version.
Or, you can do what I did, and re-power to a 75. It's amazing what 15hp and 50% more cubic inches can do,,,,,,,,,

HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Minnow

Default Not opposed

I not opposed to having two props or even three. I fish Canada on a 30000+ acre lake with 3 adults in the boat and plenty of gear one week a year. The waves on there can get nasty and sometimes I need the low end power. This is a 4 stroke motor (I didn't say that in previous post). When I had the 10.3 x 13 on it I could go like heck and didn't have any trouble getting on plane.
I don't really know what acceptable, good, and excellent hole shot is. I do know poor or none cuz thats what I had opening weekend last year with 3 guys (counting me) in the boat. I will try the prop you mentioned Propmann and get back to you.

Should I try moving my motor up at all?

What would it cost me to upgrade to a Merc 75 4stroke?
Thanks for your help guys.

Last edited by countylineshooter; 04-07-2012 at 09:00 AM.