Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Loading a 621 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 05-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Keeper

Default Loading a 621

Question: I bought a 04 621 and have to back the trailer into the water so deep that I get wet feet when loading. I had a 690 on a duel axel before the 621 and never had to back in as deep as currently.
Are all 621's this way? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdu View Post
Question: I bought a 04 621 and have to back the trailer into the water so deep that I get wet feet when loading. I had a 690 on a duel axel before the 621 and never had to back in as deep as currently.
Depends on the launch site. Some launches get my feet wet and some don't.

Wouldn't hurt to keep some easy slip on boots in the truck if you don't like to get your feet wet. Personally, I just kick my shoes off and get wet. Water always feels good on naked toes.

If it does this at every launch you go to, then you might want to post some pics here, so the fellas here can look at how it's sitting on your trailer and determine if it needs to be moved back at all.

Just a thought...

Juls
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 05-17-2010, 07:00 AM
Wallhanger

On shallower launches I try and getting a running start and motor up pretty hard, my middle bunks on these types of launches are half dry/out of the water I can usually get it pretty close if not all the way up, whoever is hooking the bow eye up will hook it, I trim way up so i won't hit, the while they crank I help them with the motor otherwise it's stuck. hardly any wet feet, I have a SUV, it's easier with a pickup truck because someone can jump in the bed and climb out on the trailer. I will say aluminum boats are much easier to crank by a huge margin some of my friends have 20 ft starcrafts and we can crank there boats easiely can't do that with a Ranger to heavy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Keeper

[quote=Juls;1201086]Depends on the launch site. Some launches get my feet wet and some don't.

Wouldn't hurt to keep some easy slip on boots in the truck if you don't like to get your feet wet. Personally, I just kick my shoes off and get wet. Water always feels good on naked toes.

I was allready thinking about the rubber boot idea. The ramps that I generally use are concrete, but the parking areas are gravel/mud, so the ramps are muddy. I dont like to drag mud into truck/boat if possible.
Most of the time I am by myself, and my trucks all have toppers. I even have the side steps on my new Ford to get in and out of the box, but with a topper they are not much good.
Could someone give me a measurement to the winch post on their 621?
Maybe I need to move it back closer to the axles.
I do currently have plenty of weight on the hitch.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Gonefishin View Post
On shallower launches I try and getting a running start and motor up pretty hard, my middle bunks on these types of launches are half dry/out of the water I can usually get it pretty close if not all the way up, whoever is hooking the bow eye up will hook it, I trim way up so i won't hit, the while they crank I help them with the motor otherwise it's stuck. hardly any wet feet, I have a SUV, it's easier with a pickup truck because someone can jump in the bed and climb out on the trailer. I will say aluminum boats are much easier to crank by a huge margin some of my friends have 20 ft starcrafts and we can crank there boats easiely can't do that with a Ranger to heavy.
I agree you are not going to winch a 621 up on the trailer.
If I have somone with the power loading would work, by myself not so much.
I there is enough slope to the ramp wet feet would not be an issue.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Wallhanger

If you are by yourself and physically able here is what you do if you are by yourself and at a crappy ramp. Dunk the trailer so it's deep enough to drive the boat up all the way but here is the important part, when you back your trailer keep it close enough to the dock so you can get out after driving it up and jump off your boat on the dock. get the boat up to the winch, climb down off your bow on the trailer (no wet feet) hook it and winch up any slack, climb back in the boat, jump out on the dock then then pull your boat. starting in I think 07 they added the little step on the trailer that allows this to happen very easiely, if you don't have one you can buy one. Problem solved and no wet feet regardless of ramp, truck or if you are by yourself.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you are by yourself and physically able here is what you do if you are by yourself and at a crappy ramp. Dunk the trailer so it's deep enough to drive the boat up all the way but here is the important part, when you back your trailer keep it close enough to the dock so you can get out after driving it up and jump off your boat on the dock. get the boat up to the winch, climb down off your bow on the trailer (no wet feet) hook it and winch up any slack, climb back in the boat, jump out on the dock then then pull your boat. starting in I think 07 they added the little step on the trailer that allows this to happen very easiely, if you don't have one you can buy one. Problem solved and no wet feet regardless of ramp, truck or if you are by yourself.
Unless, of course, you come back to the ramp after some night fishing, and your trailer is gone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
HRG
Old 05-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdu View Post
You never said, and no one ever asked, "Do you power load at your launch?"

If so, just power it up till you hit the roller with the eye....then while the motor is still running, in gear, walk up to the front and lean over the trolling motor....hook up the trailer strap clip to the eye of the boat and tighten the winch handle. Walk back, and turn the motor off....tilting it up immediately. Get out at the dock...walk up to your truck, get in, and drive off.

Or....not.

Juls
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112

Last edited by Juls; 05-18-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Unless, of course, you come back to the ramp after some night fishing, and your trailer is gone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
HRG
Yeah thanks for reminding me.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Yeah thanks for reminding me.
Someone actually stole your trailer while you were out?? I could not imagine what new words were invented that night.

Last edited by Juls; 05-27-2010 at 04:26 AM.