Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Looking at getting a Laptop computor - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Looking at getting a Laptop computor

Looking for some input on getting a laptop computor.

I dont need anything super fancy, looking at letting the kids do some games, wireless internet to view WC, using it for home use.

What should I look at getting?

Also what brand? Dell ????? Always had Dell home computors, but how about going with a HP or ??????

A positive attitude:-) may not solve the problem at hand:-(, but will annoy the heck out of the people around you ;-)moreyes <'{{^}}< :cheers:https://www.walleyecentral.com/photop...&ppuser=106750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Looking at getting a Laptop computor

I just picked up a Toshiba Satellite at Best Buy. It has a 160 GB hard drive, 2 MB of RAM, CD & DVD burner, 15.4" screen, built-in 802.11 wireless capability (most laptops now have this), and Windows XP for $999. I received a free coupon for an upgrade to Vista Premium and ordered the disc, but I'm going to wait a while to see how these upgrades run on other computers before I dare install it. This laptop runs fast and we like it a lot. I was looking at a Sony Vaio, but it was about double the cost of the Toshiba. I have a Sony Vaio desk top and like it very much and wouldn't hesitate to buy a Vaio laptop if money was no object.

Dave34
Old 02-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Phil T

www.pcworld.com will have ratings of current models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Have had a Toshiba Satellite from Best Buy and now have a Dell...much happier with the Dell. The Best Buy service was terrible, have not had to have the Dell serviced for anything.

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

— Robert F. Kennedy
Old 02-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Thinkpad

Im on my second Thinkpad now in about 5 years. I have not had any problems with them and have proved to be great computers. The reliablity and technology is one of the best. Toshibas and sonys i used at school and seemed to be pretty good too. My roommate at school had a Dell and he liked it until ran into some problems with the harddrive crashing. Good luck and one trend i have noticed is that you generally pay for what you get, treat yourself and avoid the headaches.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

My last 3 laptops have been Gateways and I have had no problems with any of them. We also use Dell's at the office with good performance. HP has risen to the upper level in units sold in recent months and I've heard good things about them also. Lots of good choices out there now.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:06 AM
JMKC

I recommend Dell. Got my daughter a mid-priced Inspiron for school, it has been trouble free so far. JJ
Old 02-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I've had HP and Dell at work for years with no problems, But Last week our IT department brought a Panasonic Tough Book in for our department to check out and demo. He actually dropped it onto the floor 3 times to show us how it holds up, it's even water proof. Check it out before you buy, They will build it however you want, I also heard they have great customer service.

FISHIN'FEVER
Old 02-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Minnow

As soon as I saw where you wanted your kids to use the lap top, I knew you need an i book by mac. they are the most user friendly of any out there. Now they have the latest of Intel's processor, the Core two Duo. You can burn DVD+R discs. I feel they have the best grafics out there. They also have built in Air-Port extreme and bluetooth. It's a great little computer but a little pricey. ( will make those pictures of your big walleye jump right out at you). Go to macworld.com and check things out.:cool2:
Old 02-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Minnow

I recently purchase an Asus ASmobile Z84F 17"screen from a local guy here in MN and I am very happy with it....:cheers: I got Windows Vista on it, bluetooth, cdrdvd, etc...duo-core ..wireless card, etc... speakers are nice...basically loaded for the budget I had...secondly it was cheaper than the big box retailers and was NOT loaded with junk or Bloatware :bowdown: so I don't have a bunch of stuff to delete.. The Geek squad wanted 150 bucks to remove it....

If you want some info on this just email me I can send you his website... I don't want to post anything without asking first (website) that is.....

Good Luck