Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
equip help wanted - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Keeper

Default equip help wanted

Ok..so the bulk of people seem to suggest the Daiwa accudepth reels, so I'm looking to get 2 combo's. I'll be using them to troll cranks, or planer boards, do I want the medium light action or the medium? I was thinking of the smaller size reel the sg17lca. Also, is basspro the best place to buy this combo? What length or rod do you suggest. Are the telescoping rods worth the extra cost?

Question #2...what planer board would you suggest for someone who has never used one before?

And a big thanks to everyone here, I've gotten lots of good advice here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Wallhanger

The best price I have found for the accudepth plus reels was at fleet farm when they have them on sale. I like medium action rods and would recommend the Church Tackle walleye boards. They work out of the box without having to change or adjust clips and have a pin that the line goes behind that make it impossible for it to come off of your line until you want it to. As for the telescoping rod most of the time they are used to fit a longer rod in the rod locker on a boat. I you store rods that way they come in handy if not they really wont make much of a difference.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Keeper

thanks, now just need a sale
Old 03-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Minnow

I bought 6 Daiwa wilderness rods 7 footers and they were paired with the lc 27's ...i bought em at Cabela's for 59 a piece during the spring sale.

Planer boards: i bought OFFSHORE planer boards froma guy on craigslist for 20.00 a piece and they had the tatle flags already on them!!! Check ebay and or craigslist for those. What i've found is if you buy something from Cabela's they will send you a coupon within a few weeks for your next purchase
Old 03-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Wallhanger

For anyone new to board trolling I would suggest the offshore boards. IMO they're easier to read. Adding an or_18 release to the front is advisable the extra cost is worth it.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Wallhanger

I would agree with the first reply with the medium rods and the church boards. The only thing harder about a church is the flag install, but they come with all the right clips and can be set at different tensions for different size baits/weight. Also they have an adjustable weight on the bottom too. I have offshore boards and never use them for walleye anymore. Also the accudepths are a nice real. I have only cheaper line counters....cabelas, okuma magda, and accudepths. All have been fine but the accu's feel nicer.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by feklar View Post
Ok..so the bulk of people seem to suggest the Daiwa accudepth reels, so I'm looking to get 2 combo's. I'll be using them to troll cranks, or planer boards, do I want the medium light action or the medium? I was thinking of the smaller size reel the sg17lca. Also, is basspro the best place to buy this combo? What length or rod do you suggest. Are the telescoping rods worth the extra cost?

Question #2...what planer board would you suggest for someone who has never used one before?

And a big thanks to everyone here, I've gotten lots of good advice here.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/articles/?author=18&c=4

Hope this helps you make a decision...best wishes for a successful 2012 season!

Juls
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Minnow

I run church boards they work well and they can't fall off your line because of the pull pin on the back of the board. I went fishing with a guy that had offshore boards, The problem we had was the board is clipped on the line in two spots. A few time the boards came unhooked from the line and we had to reel up the other lines and go get the board. The church boards may unclip from the front clip now and then but the board will slide down your line until it hits your bait and you would have to reel that line in and rehook the board.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Wallhanger

Offshore planer boards with tattle flags

Inline planers is def the way to start and i would 100% recommend using the tattle flag kit. Makes the boards super easy to read. If your worried about the boards coming unhooked you can upgrade both clips to the OR-16 with the pins in the center and never have to worry bout them coming off.

Just a little input on the reels, if your on a budget look into the Okuma Magda Series reels, at $45 a reel they are hard to beat. They arent as nice as the Diawas but they will get the job done.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Keeper

I have both reels Diawa and Okuma. The Okuma's do that exactly they can get the job done. They don't sound the same but I never lost a fish because of a reel malfunction just people

www.FranksGreatOutdoors.com had the best price for the Inline boards with flags that I have ever seen.