Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Company owned truck - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boat Insurance (Sponsored Forums) > Let's Discuss Your Boat Insurance

Old 04-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Slot Fish

Default Company owned truck

I drive a company truck, they hand me a gas card and the keys, nothing more.
I was pondering, when I pull my boat who's insurance covers it in case of a wreck ect?
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2016, 06:31 PM
Wallhanger

You better be careful and read the company vehicle usage policy. I have a company truck and it clearly states that we are not allowed to tow. The reason being it doesn't take much trailer weight to get a half ton truck up to a GVW that requires a CDL, med card, etc. in the event of an accident or even a traffic stop it would have to be proven that the vehicle was not being used comercialy at the time.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:17 PM
Keeper

I have a company truck and I'm allowed to tow with that vehicle as it's intended for personal use as well. I pay a contribution out of my paycheck that covers the taxable benefit of the personal use. The company provides the fuel and insurance. Definitely make sure you're covered on the insurance aspect and that your company understands your towing on their gas card...fuel consumption goes up drastically when towing and our fuel card vendor monitors usage and mileage between fills. I've had to explain that I was towing my boat when I filled up twice in one day on a long tow for a quick limit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2016, 07:19 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks guys..Sam thats the same gig I have but I pay my taxes 2 times a year, they know I'm towing and on long trips I'll split fuel with them.
I'm going to confer with my personal agent first and go form there.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wensel View Post
Thanks guys..Sam thats the same gig I have but I pay my taxes 2 times a year, they know I'm towing and on long trips I'll split fuel with them.
I'm going to confer with my personal agent first and go form there.
Roger that. You guys got me thinking and I'm going to double check my boat is covered when I tow. I know that they know I tow, but I need to make the company's insurance company also knows I tow.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sam I am; 04-02-2016 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Old 04-03-2016, 08:26 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE WALLEYE View Post
You better be careful and read the company vehicle usage policy. I have a company truck and it clearly states that we are not allowed to tow. The reason being it doesn't take much trailer weight to get a half ton truck up to a GVW that requires a CDL, med card, etc. in the event of an accident or even a traffic stop it would have to be proven that the vehicle was not being used comercialy at the time.
IMO it is not possible to get a 1/2 ton truck with trailer into CDL range. It would be very difficult to get combined gross weight anywhere near the 26,000 mark. I don't know of any 1/2 ton trucks that can pull a trailer that weighs 17-18,000.

Only thing I could see putting a 1/2 into that class would be pulling a trailer rated for over 10,000. Not even sure if that would make a CDL needed as the 10k rule usually pertained to trailers behind a class B truck with out requiring a class A license.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:49 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papascott View Post
IMO it is not possible to get a 1/2 ton truck with trailer into CDL range. It would be very difficult to get combined gross weight anywhere near the 26,000 mark. I don't know of any 1/2 ton trucks that can pull a trailer that weighs 17-18,000.

Only thing I could see putting a 1/2 into that class would be pulling a trailer rated for over 10,000. Not even sure if that would make a CDL needed as the 10k rule usually pertained to trailers behind a class B truck with out requiring a class A license.
Towing any trailer rated over 10k with a commercial truck requires a class "A" in most states. Most people don't know it, but I have found out the hard way.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:37 PM
Wallhanger

Not too many 1/2 tons that can handle a 10k trailer.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:50 PM
Slot Fish

2 points of discussion...

Towing can put you in a predicament, especially with a boat. If it is deemed for commercial purposes, the you could also be in trouble for hauling something containing fuel. I know it sounds like a stretch, but we have a DOT guy up here writing up contractors for hauling a lawn mower. Name on the truck = commercial use. By the way gvw is gross weight including the weight of the truck.

Using a company vehicle for personal use could be a problem for you even if you are not towing. If you violate the company policy, your employer has crazy or no insurance they could leave you hanging. MOST personal auto policies exclude liability coverage for vehicles provided for your regular use. Talk to your agent, if you have one, about getting a rider on your policy. It is typically referred to as extended coverage for vehicles provided for regular use. That way you are also covered by your policy.

By the way, if you don't have an agent, get one! 1-800 or www. Insurance companies don't know you what you do or even where you live. Also when buying insurance if they can't tell you your insurance adjusters name, you might want to think about that. You are buying your adjusters attitude more than anything.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:19 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papascott View Post
Not too many 1/2 tons that can handle a 10k trailer.
It can be an empty trailer, if its rated to tow 10k then your in trouble. Baiscally a standard tandem axle with 7k axles, if DOT want to be a jerk he can shut you down.