Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Who needs safety chains,,,,,,,, - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 10-09-2015, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Who needs safety chains,,,,,,,,

http://5newsonline.com/2015/10/09/ca...in-fort-smith/

HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Wallhanger

that could have been prevented with 2 little safety chains. thanks for posting the video. i'll never know if its just stupidity or just don't give a dm people that pulls trailers without safety chains. there just to many things that can go wrong.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Although sad, it made a pretty spectacular video.

This story reminds me of the time - many man years ago, when my son and I were fishing on a bay of a very large local lake.

We were relatively close to a semi busy road, and near a bridge that went over a feeder creek into the lake.

As we were fishing, we noticed a vehicle pulling an empty utility trailer.

As the rig approached the bridge, there was a pretty rough spot in the road. Suddenly the trailer pulled free of the tow vehicle and the trailer bounced down the side of the road, just missing the bridge and ended up bouncing into the lake.

Fortunately, there was no load on the trailer and no one and no property was hurt by the incident.

Again, I am sure that there were no safety chains hooked to the tow vehicle.

Be safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 08:23 AM
Keeper

Few years back we were headed back form the lake with the whole family in the truck. A lady got the sun in her eyes and crossed the center line about 60mph. I pulled to the side but she hit my drivers side rear tire and then the boat. Both safety chains broke right at the bend in the hook, the receiver hitch broke and boat and trailer came apart when the winch tower came off the trailer. Lots of parts in every direction. I use them but they are not bullet proof.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by A & W Dad View Post
Few years back we were headed back form the lake with the whole family in the truck. A lady got the sun in her eyes and crossed the center line about 60mph. I pulled to the side but she hit my drivers side rear tire and then the boat. Both safety chains broke right at the bend in the hook, the receiver hitch broke and boat and trailer came apart when the winch tower came off the trailer. Lots of parts in every direction. I use them but they are not bullet proof.
they may not be bullet proof but then they wasn't designed to stand up to a head on collision.

the one time I lost a trailer the chains did there job. when I hooked the trailer up everything was tight. some miles down the road I went across a rail road crossing and my trailer came loose. I thought the coupling had came loose. when the trailer started tugging on my truck I looked in the mirror and seen the boat and trailer swerving from side to side. I gently applied the brakes and the trailer tongue eased up under my truck. then I slowed down and eased off to the side of the road. I found the ball still locked in the coupling. for some reason the nut had come off the ball. the only thing I could figure was the lock washer had failed.

after that time I have always checked the lock washer before hooking my boat up. I know the nut was tight because I had towed that boat all over the country. from Michigan to the florida keys with no problems. then it just failed for no known reason.

but this is about safety chains. and even though nothing is bullet proof even safety chains. the one time I needed them they were hooked up and they did there job. if not for the chains I would at best lost my boat and trailer. and who's to say I might have killed someone. so I always use safety chains.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Wallhanger

Who needs them? Anyone with an income or assets that can be lost in a civil suit pointing out negligence.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Wallhanger

Safety chains saved me once when the drawbar pin fell out while I was towing a 23' cuddy cabin.

Even though you have chains, people don't always use them correctly. Just before we began our 1400 mile tow home from Canada, I noticed my partner had connected the safety chains for the utility trailer, but forgot to cross them first. He's done a lot of trailer towing- just forgot that detail.

Last edited by yarcraft91; 10-10-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

One thing that one should check on his/her trailer is that the chain link material is strong enough to hold the trailer in case things go bad.

Sometimes I see very very lightweight chains being used on very heavy rigs that would snap in a heart beat if the rig ever came loose. Don't be that person.

Also, the hooks holding the chains to the tow vehicle need to be at least as heavy as the chain links them selves.

Remember, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Be safe