Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Won't shift into reverse? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-30-2014, 11:40 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for all the great advice, guys. I'll let you know what I find in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 06:14 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Bob View Post
Please forgive me if I'm not explaining this properly, don't know much about outboard mechanics. I didn't disconnect the cable, but I had the wife moving the shifter while I watched the shift rod. It would turn about 1/4 of a turn clockwise looking from the top. It would turn back when put into neutral. It would turn back about 1/4 turn in the same direction when put into reverse. In neutral the prop would free wheel, in forward it would turn clockwise and was locked counter clockwise, in reverse it would turn counter clockwise and was locked clockwise. When the prop was turned clockwise in forward and counter clockwise in reverse the engine would turn. I couldn't see much difference in the shift rod when it turned in either forward or reverse. It seems like it was working properly, but when the shift lever first hits where it goes into reverse it is a bit stiff, then goes back easier. Should I put it on the muffs and give it another try? Thanks again for the help.
if the prop locks up clockwise it should be going into reverse. start your motor with a set of muffs and see if the prop is turning when you shift into reverse. if it doesn't turn then check the shift cable and make sure it is still shifting like it did when it was not running.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Wallhanger

almost every motor needs the shift linkage adjusted when u drop the lower unit. If u have to move the lever back quite a ways u end up raising the rpms and making it harder to shift into reverse or not at all, the gears need idle speed to mesh together. Do just like REW said, and set the linkage to freespin in the center, and equal amounts of movement for both R and F. should be fine. if not check ur gear oil or check i anyway, maybe its empty or u may find metal shavings, thats a start to know whats wrong w it
Old 07-03-2014, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

What did you have to do, to get the reverse issue resolved??
Old 07-04-2014, 05:15 AM
Wallhanger

Default shift rod corrosion buildup

A common problem like yours for boats used in saltwater is a corrosion buildup on the shift rod where it comes out of the gearcase. The buildup prevents the shift rod from going completely into reverse.

If that is the case, clean the corrosion, make sure the sealing area is not pitted, and store the boat shifted into reverse all the time. That way any buildup that may form in the future, would be above the area of the shift rod that is used for reverse.