Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Canadian shield lakes - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2001, 09:57 AM
Chevy4sur

Default Canadian shield lakes

My son and I just came back from fishing (focusing on walleyes) a Canadian shield lake in northwestern Ontario the week of July 23. We only get the chance to fish on Canadian shield lakes every two years or so. In other words, we don't have a lot of experience on this type of water. And, there doesn't seem to be much written about fishing Canadian shield lakes as, lets say for example, compared to Lake Erie.

We discovered that we caught walleyes on the north sides, westernmost sections of rock/gravel islands. Other areas of the islands with identical structure (rock/gravel/depth/clarity/nearby deeper water/cabbage beds/etc.) produced no walleyes. What am I missing that determines the walleyes location to the north side, westernmost section of these Canadian shield lake islands? Thanks in advance for your insights.

Jack

PS We had a great time. We got tired of pike interfering with our walleye fishing and got used to the slot restrictions; i.e. throwing back all walleye between 14.2 inches and 16.9 inches. But, we enjoyed each others company - the result of taking a 4 year old fishing every Saturday morning starting 16 years ago!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2001, 12:36 PM
jerryr

Default RE: Canadian shield lakes

Jack, glad you enjoyed your trip. Walleye Insider magazine has had several articles in the past about Canadian shield lake patterns. Check out the In-fisherman website for info on this magazine. I've been fishing NW Ontario for 15 years and I suspect your North end of West shoreline pattern was due to wind direction, and current weather and surrounding water conditions. Was the wind out of the NW? Generally, the windward side of islands is best. I fish Lake of the Woods and it just depends on individual structure, weather and wind patterns, etc. to locate active fish. On the same day, I've caught fish on all sides of islands, it just depends on the location. Time of years is a factor in what type of structure and depth of water they'll be in. Like anywhere, the best way to find the fish is from past experience in knowing the fishery and drawing on past results based on current conditions. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2001, 01:46 PM
Chevy4sur

Default RE: Canadian shield lakes

Jerry,

Thanks for responding. The winds were out of the northwest for 3 consecutive days as fronts moved through. Then the winds died down and came from the east for two days...the bite on the nw sections continued. And, then, the trip had to come to a close.

I have been a charter subscriber of the Walleye Insider and have saved (stacked is a better word) all issues including the original tabliod format issues. I better thumb through the magazines and read those articles specific to shield lakes. Guy, I hate that when I miss stuff to which I should have paid more attention. But, I appreciate friends who take time to read my questions and then point me in the right direction. Thanks, Jerry.