Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Conibear trap - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

That is a picture of my son's Father-In-Law and his two Brother-In-Laws on one of there last pheasant hunts of the season with Bella.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 05:14 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredog View Post
Something really needs to be done. Those traps need to be banned!! I bought a 220 trap just to try to figure out the best and fastest way to open them. But you have so little time to get it done that the chances are slim to none of saving the dog. And thats if you can find him in time. I know if it happens to my dog that trapper better pray his name is not on that trap!!! Wiredog
I would agree!

I will not take my dog grouse hunting in N MN on public land for this exact reason. Contacting our State legislators and encouraging them to act on tougher regs for body hold traps on public land will keep this issue on the front burner. I can not image seeing my dog killed in a body hold trap.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look-A-Like View Post
My son called me yesterday and I could tell by his voice that there was something seriously wrong. He told that he went grouse hunting Sunday with his brother-in-law and father-in-law North of Brainerd on public land and his brother-in-laws golden got caught in a conibear trap. He said it was the worst experience he ever had in his life trying to free the struggling dog from the trap. Unfortunately the dog suffocated to death before they could get the trap off. Don't know if it was a legal set or not my son called the CO and he was going to go out and check the trap and get the trappers info. Before hunting season next year I'm going to go out and buy a conibear trap to make sure I know how to remove it. I found this video and thought it would be good to share.

WCCO had done a video last night on how to release your dog from the body gripping traps.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/1...dy-grip-traps/
carry a peice of rope about four foot long with a loop on the end big enough for your foot to fit into,,then run the other end throught the spring and back around throught it again then hold down with your foot and pull on the other end of rope till springs compress,,,you might want to carry a big nail bent on each end to hook over the springs just in case there aint one on the trap to hold the springs compressed.then take rope out and do other side same way.this is the easiest way to do it and a peice of three eigths inch size rope is just right any smaller and its hard to do.and rope is lighter to carry and fits in your pocket .try it at home first so you know how to do it..Dave.

Last edited by dclelandfishing; 04-15-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Wallhanger

Angry

GIVE ME A BREAK!!! You haven`t got a chance in **** of saving your dog with a rope, plastic tie rap, or the tool made to compress the springs. First you have to find your dog caught in the trap. He can`t bark or make much noise at all with his windpipe choked off. You have maybe one minute before he is done for. Second the dog will be thrashing around like crazy trying to get out of the trap. Not so easy to use any of those items when he is doing that!! THE VERY BEST WAY IS NOT TO HAVE THE CONIBEAR TRAPS OUT THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! They should be banned. Wiredog
Old 04-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Wallhanger

These kind of traps are designed to kill not hold the animal. I trapped when I was in high school and used these kind of traps a lot. The more an animal struggles the tighter the trap closes, same is true with a snare. I've had my bird dog get caught in a snare and if I wasn't close by she would have died. I can reset a conibear 220 or 330 in 20 seconds or less with my hands, only because I've done it several hundred times. Most people and some hunters don't even know what they look like or have a clue of how to reset one. Until the laws are changed, which they should be, keep your dog in sight or put a beeper collar on your dog. In Nebr. the trap must be 6' above ground or under water. I don't think these kind of traps should be allowed at all. What if a child got HIS (only a boy would try it) arm or foot caught in the trap? Broken bones.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Wallhanger

I know nothing about trapping so I had to do a Google search about Conibear traps. The images are pretty horrible. I can only imagine the one sided conversation I'd have with the owner of one of these traps that killed my dog....
Old 04-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Wallhanger

But when you talk to the trappers we are soposed to thank them for using conibears because they are catching all the predators that would eat all our birds. LOL. Wiredog
Old 05-21-2014, 03:18 AM
Minnow

Just wondered if Minnesota changed their regulations on conibear traps yet. I've used a 330 conibear to get a beaver that was mowing down our cornfield but yes they are an instant kill trap.

In South Dakota here are the regulations for conibears.

Body Grip Traps
(commonly known as conibears)
•Body grip traps with a jaw spread greater
than eight inches are permitted only
as water sets. All of the bottom surface
of these traps must remain completely
below the water’s edge at all times.
•On all public lands and public road rights-ofway
statewide, no person may set or operate
a body grip trap when used in conjunction
with any bait, lure, or scent with a jaw spread
greater than six and three-quarter inches
(i.e. larger than a 160 conibear) unless:
(a) The trap is recessed in a plastic,
wood, or metal cubby a minimum of
seven inches from the front edge of the
cubby to the trigger of the trap; or
(b) The trap is set below the water’s edge of
a stream, river, or other body of water.

Note: a single overhang on the top of the cubby
does not meet this recess requirement.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Wallhanger

NO they hav`nt. Its too bad because a lot of guys have quit bird hunting because of the traps. Wiredog
Old 05-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredog View Post
NO they hav`nt. Its too bad because a lot of guys have quit bird hunting because of the traps. Wiredog
I no longer take my dogs on public lands and would not think of hunting them because of these traps. There is a lot of support for legislation, but committee chairs block it. I worked very hard this year drumming up support for a bill, but it went nowhere. I would encourage everyone to write their reps about this. This isn't about stopping trapping or anti-trapping. It's about common sense.

I have three pups, two goldens and a lab. My senior boy was a superb hunter and loved his time in the field. But he is too valuable as a friend to risk him in the field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD