Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Hey Doc, how important are updates to HB? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Keeper

Default Hey Doc, how important are updates to HB?

Now that I have my system set up and everything works really well for me, I am wondering what the risk/reward benefit of updating software is.

My system does not know that updates are available, and was working great for me. Is there any benefit to update if I am not installing any new hardware to the system?

Likewise, is there any risk involved by NOT installing the updates?

Last season, a rep did recommend, that if I fall behind on updates, to install them in order of release, and not skip a bunch of versions?

I have not seen this topic covered, so perhaps others will be interested as well.

Thanks!

...||| 2013 .1775. PRO-V SE ---
......\ ----115 MERC 4 STROKE -------
[|||] ------------------------------------- >>>
....../ ---.TERROVA WITH LINK -------
...||| 858c|858c DI|898c SI ---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight2205 View Post
Now that I have my system set up and everything works really well for me, I am wondering what the risk/reward benefit of updating software is.

My system does not know that updates are available, and was working great for me. Is there any benefit to update if I am not installing any new hardware to the system?

Likewise, is there any risk involved by NOT installing the updates?

Last season, a rep did recommend, that if I fall behind on updates, to install them in order of release, and not skip a bunch of versions?

I have not seen this topic covered, so perhaps others will be interested as well.

Thanks!
I do them the beginning of each season for a couple of reasons.

1st the reason the rep recommended. To just stay up to date and it helps with bugs in the software

2nd What if I decide to sell and upgrade mine? The new buyer will want them up to date

3rd I read through what the updates cover for my units this year and they add or better some features I use and have found not worthy of use until the fix or fixes.

It does not take long at all to run the updates so why not do them?
Helix 5

It's all fun and games till someone loses a walleye!
Old 03-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Wallhanger

In my experience, the importance of updated software changes between running a single, stand-alone unit and running multiple units and accessories on a network.

With a single unit, if it running exactly the way you want it to, you're satisfied with its current features, and you never intend to network it to another unit or an advanced accessory, up-to-date softwate is less important.

If you're running multiple units on a simple (interlink) or modern (ethernet) network, and that network also includes advanced accessories like i-Pilot Link or 360 imaging, then up to date software is critical.

Keep in mind that, as soon as you have a problem and call customer service for resolution, the first thing they will ask you to do is update your software.

Your mileage may vary, but my units always have the most recent software.