Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
.22 shells - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale ryder View Post
Who is responsible for the shortage ?

How do "gougers" cause a shortage ?
Does doubling the price of something cause people to buy more of it ?

As stated, you don't reload rimfire, so your argument is null. There was no brass shortage, and regardless of what the government did with their centerfire shell casings, it has zero, left me repeat that, ZERO impact on .22LR!

And I also stated previously, as did Cyber on this page, that gougers caused a run on the fairly priced ammo at the major retailers. Guilty here! When I saw 22lr going for $10-15/box, doubling or tripling in price nearly overnight, I grabbed a bunch that was still at regular price at Walmart and other places. Multiply that by a few hundred thousand or a million 22lr owners, and there's your bare shelves in no time. And until it's not profitable any more, hoarders and gougers are going to keep buying it cheap, and then reselling or auctioning it to whoever will pay their inflated price. It should be over soon as the big box stores and major sellers like Midway start having it available for reasonable prices and put the gougers out of business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

I am more of a collector of arms than a shooter, sure I shoot them and hunt.
But having a few nice arms just in case the zombies take over is what i enjoy

Its been a long time since I purchased a box of 22lr or really any of the common standard rounds as I had a buddy working at federal locally and he supplied me with some great prices over the years, still sitting on plenty of 9mm as they was my main plinking round back in the day including some very special rounds that are for HD or LEO.

Like many, we purchase by price. When was the last time Target sold ammo? I am still sitting on a ton of them Rem Yellow Jackets and I don't even recall they year or decade I purchased them, I see target's regular price back then was $2.19, I forget how many boxes I purchased @ .75c per 50. This was just at one store, I did not clean them out and at that price they were still higher than a standard 22LR round because I also purchased a few of the REM Lighting Bolts as well @ .50c a box.
I still remember buying my first deer rifle at target around the age of 13, 30-30 lever for $99, still have it & it has filled plenty of tags and since been retired.

I also purchase other clearance ammo, those WIN super x 44 mag 240 hollow for $8.50, still sitting on plenty for personal needs, again clearance merchandise taking up space not during frantic times.
That same box of super-x 44 today is being sold by GOUGING Gander $32.99 or USA Midway $23.99 and they both have them in stock as they should at them prices.
I see I have a few boxes of Super-x 308 20% more = 24 loads, paid $7.99 and $9.99 for 24 rounds of 7MM Mags

Those mini mags cost $2.49, not sure how long ago those were purchased, must have been on sale other wise I would not have purchased a few extras as I did.

So thinking more about it, including myself purchasing onsale and stocking up was/is about the same as hoarding today, but there was no demand back then with a very saturated market. A few years from now we all may look at todays current prices and say I wish I bought more, idk
I hope not....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ammo.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	534.0 KB
ID:	167026  
Old 07-27-2015, 11:47 AM
Wallhanger

So what do you consider a reasonable price?
I say about .05 cents a bullet and I would buy again. Will we ever see that again? I guess my opinion might change if/ when I run out. But right now .10 cents a bullet seems too high for me.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber16 View Post
I understand the DEMs
How is it they FORCED the industry to raise prices?

edit:
BTW: That veto came on the urging of local LEO, as they were also against the laws past this year and they were also against the medical MJ
It seems sometimes Leo in this state forgets their duties are to uphold & enforce the laws, not write them
Cyber - are you talking about when the current administration (2010 i think) placed an order to major ammo makers throught the DHS for 400 million rounds of hollow point .40 cal ammo?

Or when (2012) this admin used the EPA shut down all remaining shot smelters in the USA?
Old 07-27-2015, 12:04 PM
Wallhanger

It is only a matter of time until lead is a thing of the past. Including fishing jigs and weights.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

?
As I stated, I hear that the feds placed some huge orders, If I was in the ammo business, sure I would make what turns a bigger return, especially if its a government contract regardless whom is in office as those profits are irresistible

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...unit/?page=all

Quote:
Lawrence Keane is the senior vice president and general counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), which represents the ammunitions and firearms industry.
“Manufacturers use recycled lead to make ammunition. They don’t buy from smelters,” Mr. Keane told me Monday. “The EPA closing, which has been in the works for a while, will have no impact on production, supply or cost to the consumers.”

Now what has gone up some is the cost of goods that use pure lead such as some top end AGM batteries. They felt a bit of a hike in prices.

Recycled lead prices also went up, but as I said, not enough to justify 22 ammo prices.

everything after the edit was referring to LOCAL MN government

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzzyIL View Post
Cyber - are you talking about when the current administration (2010 i think) placed an order to major ammo makers throught the DHS for 400 million rounds of hollow point .40 cal ammo?
Or when (2012) this admin used the EPA shut down all remaining shot smelters in the USA?
Old 07-27-2015, 12:17 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
As stated, you don't reload rimfire, so your argument is null. There was no brass shortage, and regardless of what the government did with their centerfire shell casings, it has zero, left me repeat that, ZERO impact on .22LR!

And I also stated previously, as did Cyber on this page, that gougers caused a run on the fairly priced ammo at the major retailers. Guilty here! When I saw 22lr going for $10-15/box, doubling or tripling in price nearly overnight, I grabbed a bunch that was still at regular price at Walmart and other places. Multiply that by a few hundred thousand or a million 22lr owners, and there's your bare shelves in no time. And until it's not profitable any more, hoarders and gougers are going to keep buying it cheap, and then reselling or auctioning it to whoever will pay their inflated price. It should be over soon as the big box stores and major sellers like Midway start having it available for reasonable prices and put the gougers out of business.
When did I say that what the govt did with shell casings had anything to do with the price of 22 ammo ?

Sane people do not go buy way more of something than they need just because a few retailers raised their price.

Why did these "gougers" all decide to double their price at the same time ?
Did Fox News send them a secret coded message ?

It will be over when people stop hording. Either because the big retailers raise the price or because the hoarders finally decide that the 50,000 rounds they already have in their basement is enough.
15 hp Suzuki tiller kicker with Itroll
101 lb Terrova I-pilot link
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.

Last edited by pale ryder; 07-27-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale ryder View Post
When did I say that what the govt did with shell casings had anything to do with the price of 22 ammo ?

Sane people do not go buy way more of something than they need just because a few retailers raised their price.

Why did these "gougers" all decide to double their price at the same time ?
Did Fox News send them a secret coded message ?

It will be over when people stop hording. Either because the big retailers raise the price or because the hoarders finally decide that the 50,000 rounds they already have in their basement is enough.
Sorry. Mixed your response up with someone else's and the government brass story. My bad.

Yes, sane people do. When you're used to buying a high volume of something at a set price and it's available any time, then you see a spike in prices and run on the product, you stock up a few normal purchases worth. The family and I would blow through almost 500 rounds on a full day of shooting. Usually pick up the ammo on the way there or a day or two before.

No secret message. Fox News and others have learned to play the "they're going to take my guns" paranoia crowd, and it worked. Tensions and paranoia were already high over Obama himself, then Sandy just through the paranoia into hyperdrive. Like I said, the dealers that did that were opportunists. When people start coming in the next day and say "give me all your 9mm, 22 ammo", or whatever, they knew it's time to gouge. As much as the paranoid gun owners are small shops best customers, the shop owners aren't stupid and know how to play them also for $.

You are already seeing the beginnings of hoarding coming to an end. And it wasn't because the retailers raised their prices, it's because they have it in stock now for the same price as it has been since Sandy, and there is no need to fear having to pay the gouger's top $ any longer if you run out. If anything, the prices of bulk packs are going down in price again.

Last edited by Custom Eyes; 07-27-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzzyIL View Post

That was nothing more than another RW media fear story. Sounds like allot, but if you check into it, that's not much different than a typical military order on any given year, under any given President. Sure stoked some flames and fears our of their audience though! And still does.

Remaining smelters??? There was only one left when he took office. Most ammo manufacturers got their virgin lead from China and other cheaper places already. I think it was something like 3% of the lead used for ammo in the U.S. came from that plant and not from overseas.

Last edited by Custom Eyes; 07-27-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk View Post
Buckeye?
No Bob - Woodbury Heard that place in Lancaster does also. Hocking Valley ?? maybe