Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Loomis wrr8500s for jigging. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Keeper

Default Loomis wrr8500s for jigging.

REW or Mattman are you out there? Everyone else please chime in as well.

Do either of you have experience with this rod? I picked it up for a steal at a local Wholesale sports that is moving locations. I currently have the WJR75S as well, and this rod feels, (handling it in the house) better for jigging. I love the x-fast tip, but it may be too light for jigging as I'm a rookie to say the least. Do you think this rod would work for pitching/dragging jigs? They make a WPJR820 and 821S as well, but not for this price. Thanks for any input.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Kar,
The place where this rig will really shine is in its use as a light bait or Lindy rig.

lets say that the fish are really spooky and you are running a leech on a plain hook behind a split shot with an 8 foot Snell. This rod is the perfect rod for that application.

Also, if you are running 1/16th up to about 3/16th oz jigs, this rod will also work. The light tip will really sense the bite well, but you may have to change your hook setting a bit.

So, the perfect use for this rod is for Lindy rigging with lighter weights.
We are not talking bottom bouncing with 1 oz weights and heavier, but rather lighter weights of less than 1 oz, and typically less than 1/2 oz.

I had made a rod very similar to this one and my buddy was using it when we were out fishing on his home lake. He was out fishing me by at least two to 1 - both using Lindy rigs and a Leech. He was feeling the light ticks of the very negative fish that I was missing with my medium light rod.

REW
Old 06-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Kar,
The place where this rig will really shine is in its use as a light bait or Lindy rig.

lets say that the fish are really spooky and you are running a leech on a plain hook behind a split shot with an 8 foot Snell. This rod is the perfect rod for that application.

Also, if you are running 1/16th up to about 3/16th oz jigs, this rod will also work. The light tip will really sense the bite well, but you may have to change your hook setting a bit.

So, the perfect use for this rod is for Lindy rigging with lighter weights.
We are not talking bottom bouncing with 1 oz weights and heavier, but rather lighter weights of less than 1 oz, and typically less than 1/2 oz.

I had made a rod very similar to this one and my buddy was using it when we were out fishing on his home lake. He was out fishing me by at least two to 1 - both using Lindy rigs and a Leech. He was feeling the light ticks of the very negative fish that I was missing with my medium light rod.

REW
Thanks REW! So do not use it for 1/4 and 3/8 jig fishing then? My WJR752S will be much better?
Dang. The rod feels amazing, but I have the 8501S already for the methods you mention, and really noone around here does lindy, or live bait because it is illegal.
Thanks for bringing me down man, lol!! Take care.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Kar,
As is always the case, try the rods for your jigging needs.
You really can't tell how a rod will work for an application unless you try it.

You aren't going to break it so certainly give it a try.

Also, you can use plastic for Lindy rigging if you like. Lindy rigging does not have to use live bait.

good luck
REW

p.s.
I have found some surprising rods working exceptionally well for applications that I had no idea they would work well for. So, always give a rod a try for a given application, jig weight, Lindy rig, spinner etc. Unless you try a rod for an application, you won't know if it will work well for you or not. Any given rod might really surprise you.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Kar,
As is always the case, try the rods for your jigging needs.
You really can't tell how a rod will work for an application unless you try it.

You aren't going to break it so certainly give it a try.

Also, you can use plastic for Lindy rigging if you like. Lindy rigging does not have to use live bait.

good luck
REW

p.s.
I have found some surprising rods working exceptionally well for applications that I had no idea they would work well for. So, always give a rod a try for a given application, jig weight, Lindy rig, spinner etc. Unless you try a rod for an application, you won't know if it will work well for you or not. Any given rod might really surprise you.

Thanks REW. Going to try it out Sunday and make the call. Have a good weekend.