Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Props and proposing? - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-28-2015, 04:09 PM

If your getting 57 mph with the motor to low and porpoising, You should pick up a few mph with the engine at the right height, that thing should lift the hull out and run. That Bravo1 FS would make it run according to everything I've read about it on the heavier, bigger four strokes.
I'm really feeling left out of the game with a 20+' boat that's rated for 225 HP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2015, 08:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwarrior View Post
If your getting 57 mph with the motor to low and porpoising, You should pick up a few mph with the engine at the right height, that thing should lift the hull out and run. That Bravo1 FS would make it run according to everything I've read about it on the heavier, bigger four strokes.
I'm really feeling left out of the game with a 20+' boat that's rated for 225 HP!!
57 was max on a perfect day, she runs 51-54 usually.

Craig, lift kit almost done, as soon as it is, I'll be in touch with ya.
Hopefully soon.

Hoping to see 60 on a perfect day, but that's the old drag racer in me..

Al
Old 07-01-2015, 01:37 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob92761 View Post
i raised one hole. the cavitation plate is supposed to be level to inch below the bottom of boat
Funny because the majority of diggers say the cav plate should.be even or above the keep by up to an inch and a half depending on the hull design. Too low and it is dragging in the water all the time creating drag and scrubbing off speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Wallhanger

porpoising is usually caused by too much drag and too low a motor. raise it up and keep going til the prop blows out on turns. A good stainless can run rly high up and run great. My buddys whaler has a 115 opti on it he bought used to replace a 75 old 2 stroke. its an 18' boat w a 24" transom. We mounted the 20" 115 opti on it just to see what happens and with a powertech prop it runs great its 3" above the keel and it stayed that way, he didnt end up getting the 5" kit for it. you would be surprised how high you can run w a good stainless prop
Old 07-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
porpoising is usually caused by too much drag and too low a motor. raise it up and keep going til the prop blows out on turns. A good stainless can run rly high up and run great. My buddys whaler has a 115 opti on it he bought used to replace a 75 old 2 stroke. its an 18' boat w a 24" transom. We mounted the 20" 115 opti on it just to see what happens and with a powertech prop it runs great its 3" above the keel and it stayed that way, he didnt end up getting the 5" kit for it. you would be surprised how high you can run w a good stainless prop
That's what I'm hoping, raise it up with the plate until it quits porposing or blows out.
That doesn't, try a different prop.

Al
Old 07-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Wallhanger

Not apples to apples comparison but 2" less on the prop pitch with a DAH tune was a stunning difference on my boat.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Minnow

Hey Allen,

Have you looked at the Mercury Bravo 1 FS? I am running it on my Trophy 195 with an V-rod 200 pro. I absolutely love it. Tried an Enertia and Tempest Plus but the Bravo blew them away. It seems to really hold the boat out of the water and actually had better top end. The motor is now mounted in the third hole but could be moved up another hole yet.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:20 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hink View Post
Hey Allen,

Have you looked at the Mercury Bravo 1 FS? I am running it on my Trophy 195 with an V-rod 200 pro. I absolutely love it. Tried an Enertia and Tempest Plus but the Bravo blew them away. It seems to really hold the boat out of the water and actually had better top end. The motor is now mounted in the third hole but could be moved up another hole yet.
That's what the Propman suggested, I will see what happens with the plate on and go from there, thanks.

DUH props have got a good rep, thanks.

Al

Last edited by AllenW; 07-05-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Default how is it going

how is this project going?
Old 07-30-2015, 07:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REELMAN View Post
how is this project going?
With Craig's help we got the jackplate mounted and I wired it when I got the boat back home.

Now just waiting to get boat on water, probably P2 next week, or Superior depending on weather/wind.

I'm assuming if a prop is needed, the Bravos would be the first choice, be nice to find one that fits a yammie and try before sticking $700 into a prop.

Hoping the plate takes care of it.

Judging by the boats I see with the same problem, it's not a rare occurrence, seems all bands can be stuck with this problem, also seems like some get it figured out, some don't.

Al

Last edited by AllenW; 07-30-2015 at 07:04 PM.