Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
titanium leader - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 12-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Minnow

Hey TDH
I use a short 20lb titanium leader if I'm fishing for walleye in waters with gator potential... many of our biggest pike come when we are fishing for walleye, and I would gladly trade a few walleye for photos of a big pike. As for pike leaders, I generally size them just long enough to fit in a standard plano box. I prefer heavier gear so long as it doesn't impede my presentation ... playing a fish to exhaustion, or leaving lures in their mouth due to break offs is unnecessary.
Cheers,
LK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Minnow

I haven't used any of the Terminator leaders that are less than 100 lb, but I used to use the 100 lb Terminator leaders for a long time for muskies. Then, a few years ago, a buddy and I had 4 or 5 fall apart or break on us in a couple months. Lost a big fish when one snapped on a hookset. When the leaders would fall apart strands of the titanium would pull out.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Keeper

I would definately say "go with the 6 lb test clear mono". You will catch far more walleye than with a larger mono. I even get better results using clear mono. I retie often when using 4 lb mono. When I have my fill of walleye, I then use a very fine braided steel leader of about 10 to 12 lb test. I buy it via the internet from Europe. It's 49 to 54 strand braided steel that is about the size of 4 or 6 lb mono. It's very expensive. It is flexible enough to tie knots in it. I will try to see if size 1 leader sleeves will be small enough to make loops in this stuff.

Yes....a large pike can ruin the leader (it gets curly from too much strain) but it's worth it. On top of that, I still catch walleye.

10 to 15 lb test line is strong enough to catch big pike. Modern reels now have variable brakes that feed out line when there is too much pressure on the line. Yes, I will use 20 or 30 lb test braided line on my baitcasters but that is in case I get backlash. The sudden stop will snap light braid and cause the loss of the lure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Wallhanger

Default Power Pro

I have to also respectfully disagree on using Power Pro on Lac Seul for walleyes. True story - two boats on the same bay circling around trolling the same waters/depths with the same bait. I've always liked Power Pro and 3 of us in my boat used it all day. The other 2 guys in the other boat used mono. All fishing same way. Results were about 10 to 1...we got out-fished big time. Power Pro is more visible even if green colored like the water and smaller in diameter. Power Pro definitely has its applications, but I haven't used it for walleyes since without using a fluorocarbon leader.