Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
DAH props - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Keeper

Default DAH props

Does DAH tuning a prop really make that much of a difference? Many years ago I sent mine in for balancing and the shop I sent to (not sure who it was) said there is not much you can to to a tempest. I am looking at getting a 4 blade in a 19. I have and ran a Rev 4 21 in Michigan and really liked it but it is too much pitch for the mountains. Boat is a 619 w/225xs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

I have a prop from DAH, a 21p Tempest.

DAH does balancing and blue printing know as a B and B...I think. It will gain you about 1-2 mph if speed is what you require. I am sure they do more but haven't requested that.

Marks High Performance prop repair will do a B and B if you want, but he will also do a lot more customizing for you than DAH. He will add cup, refinish, drill PVS holes, install plugs, reduce pitch and more.

I just got my 19p rev 4 back from Mark. I bought one used and the cupping was lacking so I had him add some. It looks great, I will test it on Sunday. I was loosing bite when I tried it on Lake Erie last year, so I needed the cupping.

Both places were good to deal with, but Mark seemed to have a great reputation so I gave him a shot on the second go around, he is also more cost effective.

DAH told me to send them the prop and 300 and they would take care of it. I was new to props and should have asked a lot more questions, but the prop did look good when I got it and I did gain 1 mph without losing holeshot.

Propmann - He fixed a aluminum prop for me and did an excellent job. I don't think he works on stainless props like the shops above.

Last edited by Pezman38; 03-29-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added Brainard Propeller
Old 03-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman38 View Post
I have a prop from DAH, a 21p Tempest.

DAH does balancing and blue printing know as a B and B...I think. It will gain you about 1-2 mph if speed is what you require. I am sure they do more but haven't requested that.

Marks High Performance prop repair will do a B and B if you want, but he will also do a lot more customizing for you than DAH. He will add cup, refinish, drill PVS holes, install plugs, reduce pitch and more.

I just got my 19p rev 4 back from Mark. I bought one used and the cupping was lacking so I had him add some. It looks great, I will test it on Sunday. I was loosing bite when I tried it on Lake Erie last year, so I needed the cupping.

Both places were good to deal with, but Mark seemed to have a great reputation so I gave him a shot on the second go around, he is also more cost effective.

DAH told me to send them the prop and 300 and they would take care of it. I was new to props and should have asked a lot more questions, but the prop did look good when I got it and I did gain 1 mph without losing holeshot.
Mark has done 5 props of mine now, He took one of my props 21p rev 4 from 58.7 mph to 61.7, On 620 ranger 250 vrod, I swear by his work, I got a 22 p bravo 1 fs on the way, if it doesnt perform right it will be going to him also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Minnow

Is one of these guys you are referring to known as "Propman"?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Wallhanger

Default Mods to a Tempest Plus

If you look at the blade tips on the Tempest you will see a thin area on the trailing edge that Merc has left there for changing tip cup. The most typical mod to a Tempest Plus is to add some tip cup for a boat that needs more bow lift and runs the motor high- since the added tip cup also bites water a bit better with a raised engine. I have a 21 Tempest by Rich Boger with the added tip cup- which gained me 1+ mph and inproved prop bite in the rough. Boger also likes to roughen the blade a bit on the high pressure side at the cup, which may or may not add some extra bite. I have a 21 Trophy Plus done by Mark with the same added tip cup- and it also runs 1+ mph faster than stock. Both of these shops sharpen the trailing blade edges to a very sharp "corner" after squaring off the trailing edge at the cup. Thus, the cup is consistant, square and cut so cleanly at 90 degrees to the blade form that you can easily cut yourself if you slide you finger along the cup edge. This alteration makes the prop bite a lot better.
In answer to whfishman's question:
Propmann= Brainerd Propeller
Mark= Mark's props
John Janaky= DAH props
Rich Boger= Boger Props- who I think is out of business since Rich screwed up his back
All of these shops are well respected and do a lot of business with walleye boat props. Some, like DAH are well known for race boat props. Others, like Rich Boger, made their name in the bass boat prop market. There are many other well known prop shops, but they often specialize in one or two types of props. There is one shop like this in my area who is very busy and does mostly high performance offshore boat props, but he rarely does anything for a walleye boat.
So many props- so little time.....
Doug
Old 03-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Keeper

Default DAH is solid

Ive done three props with John at DAH and know he's solid. I've added 2mph and have much better lift and handling. He does add cup when he tunes it... And I don't pay $300... Pm me if you want more info.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Minnow

Default Prop Man is the guy

I had DAH do a prop for me,sent them 300.00 got my prop back that looked nice but it didn't change anything.Kept reading about Propman,I called him we went to the lake he tried many different props until he was satisfied he had the right one,I think he'd of stayed all day if he had to.I would not go anywhere else,I've told friends about him they all told me the same thing that they were very happy with the service,plus he's one of the nicest people you will ever meet
Old 03-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Wallhanger

x2 on the propmann
Old 03-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Wallhanger

Pezman38, Yes Propman does work stainless props. His work is outstanding. I had him do two props for me, one was a very trick Trophy that D.A.H. had built for me. Propmans work was even better so sharp you could shave with it. In fact i cut two fingers taking it out of the box!! He did send me a couple of band aids though. Wiredog
Old 03-30-2012, 06:52 AM
Wallhanger

Sent a 21P Tempest plus to John at DAH last summer and was impressed by his work. I had tried a number of different props including a Enertia, Trophy Plus, Vengence, High Five, and of course the Tempest which is what I had settled on. My love hate relationship with the Tempest stemmed from a couple of different areas; I loved the speed and the bite and overall handling characteristics of the Tempest however the ride, plane speed, and low rpm vibration made me look at other options. After discussing this with John he reworked my prop which resulted in considerably less vibration, lowered my minimum plane speed by 2 mph, improved the ride considerably, all while still gaining a solid 1.5 mph and polishing it to such a finish it looks like a work of art! Needless to say I'm sold on the work at DAH. My father in-law whom spends more time in my boat than anyone else immediatly noticed the improved ride before I said a word about the prop.