Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How to call a Gobbler out of tree - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Small Game and Birds

Old 04-26-2017, 05:44 PM
Wallhanger

Default How to call a Gobbler out of tree

I've shot about 30 turkeys but I need help with this. When a Tom is tree gobbling in the morning and has hens in the area near him,I have no chance ! Seems like the hens intentionally head the opposite direction (away from me) and the Tom follows . Anybody have a suggestion on pulling him my direction ? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2017, 06:11 PM
Wallhanger

Default Turkeys

I think you've answered your own question. It's hard to pull a Tom from the hens that he can see vs the sound of a hen somewhere in the woods. I would try to get between the roost and wherever they are going to feed.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:26 PM
Slot Fish

Are you calling while he's In the roost? Do you have decoys out? How close are you setting up to the roost? Have you tried waiting and trying to call him in mid day? A lot of variables but that's what makes turkey hunting fun. It's tough competing with the real hens but eventually the hens will be nesting and he will be searching. Just keep after him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 03:08 AM
Keeper

Boom call gets them down fast, ha ha

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2017, 05:43 AM
Wallhanger

Answer to bowtech's questions: on my recent hunt I was in way before light , about 125 yards from him roosting, I did call(yelped only) after he tree gobbled a while,I never left my blind until 12 noon , no decoy---a point I'm trying to make is it always seems like the hens will go out the opposite direction no matter which side I set up on. Is there a way of attracting the hens ? Even the other Toms in the area do the same by going the other direction. I've seen this other years with other Toms too. There must be a way to fool him but I'm not on to it. Thats where I need somebodies help.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:28 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkman View Post
Answer to bowtech's questions: on my recent hunt I was in way before light , about 125 yards from him roosting, I did call(yelped only) after he tree gobbled a while,I never left my blind until 12 noon , no decoy---a point I'm trying to make is it always seems like the hens will go out the opposite direction no matter which side I set up on. Is there a way of attracting the hens ? Even the other Toms in the area do the same by going the other direction. I've seen this other years with other Toms too. There must be a way to fool him but I'm not on to it. Thats where I need somebodies help.

Sounds like the hens are intentionally avoiding your calling? They may be educated, it may be competition but sometimes they will do that. The best way to call in hens is to copy them. When they Yelp you Yelp when they cluck you cluck ect. Maybe try being silent till the birds are on the ground. You toting a shotgun or bow?
Old 04-27-2017, 07:13 AM
Wallhanger

I'm using a shotgun. Man ,they are frustrating animals but I love every second of hunting them !
Old 04-27-2017, 12:43 PM
Minnow

Go in there in the dark and bust them up out of the roost. Once light hits it'll be good action calling them all back together
Old 04-27-2017, 01:17 PM
Wallhanger

catchnabuzz : does that really work ? Have you done it ? I would think it would scare the the birds out for a day
Old 04-27-2017, 01:29 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkman View Post
catchnabuzz : does that really work ? Have you done it ? I would think it would scare the the birds out for a day

Anytime you break up a flock of turkeys you can call them back together. Works great with a stubborn old henned up gobbler. In the dark works even better. Might wanna check if it's legal in your state though.