Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
NW Ontario ice conditions? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Keeper

Default Temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by IaDave View Post
FYI
Just click on th "c" by the the temp and it will change it for you.
You beat me to it, Dave.

bigdog

(Fish Hawk/Powered by Yamaha)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 06:44 AM
Wallhanger

+ 11 degrees C here this morning @ 8:30 am and another thunderstorm rolled in earlier this morning. Snow is almost gone. Suppose to stay like this till the end of next week at least.
Have not been on the ice in a while, but we only had about 2 feet of it and not really great ice at that. I could be on the water before walleye season closes in mid april for a month.

Fisherman1792
Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 PM
RustMcCan

Default Stay off ice

I was out to day and never seen ice melt so fast we lost 8 inches in 6 hours of fishing on eagle lake . Ice turned honeycomb and was getting really black. Temp hit 24C (about 77F) record breaking for March 18th. Anyone venturing on ice better becareful, I know I will be tomorrow picking up lake stakes. This is last day for me on the ice.
Oh Ya, fishing was good - caught our limit!
Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Slot Fish

Location: Sioux Lookout, Lac Seul, MAPB, Lake St Joe, and usually on an island

Out on Minnitaki lake there is still good ice lots of places, but there is bad ice some places, anywhere there is current, we hauled our skid houses off yesterday, no issues at all, we used atvs to do the pulling, there seems to be at least 18'' of solid clear ice with the honeycomb slurry on top for 6 inches, its gonna go quick though it seems with this weather we are having, high of 24c today, Ill be out fishing today in the Rice River, open water at the narrows, but there is room along the shoreline to get in safely still. We slammed the perch, and walleyes over the slot there two days ago, and 4 pike over 40'', gotta get back in there before the ice season is over. good luck and be safe this time of year
Old 03-20-2012, 05:11 AM
Wallhanger

I pulled my shack off the ice Sunday evening with the 4-wheeler, by last night (Monday) the ice was so bad I won't be back on it. Guessing ice out will be a month early on our lake.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Slot Fish

I was out at the Rice River off of Minnitaki lake yesterday afternoon, there were 7 of us total. We caught 8 walleyes and 20 some perch, the ice was about 12 to 14inches still, but you could tell its on its way out, definiltey last time I have my snowmobile out for ice fishing, the lake has popped so there is no water,slush or snow for lubrication. ATV time for those still wanting to go out, biggest problem now is the ice at the shorlines are receding fast, so getting off and on is dangerous, and I think the ice is going to be unsafe very soon.
I went to Big Sandy this morning to check ice conditions and did a little fishing, caught a few whitefish while were there. We brought ATVs with but only to get to shore, we walked out on the ice, the shorline is open where the trail goes out and the ice around the point is pretty thin, we tested it, the quad broke through, so I had to call my next group of 8-10 guys and tell them to cancel because of unsafe ice conditions, so there plan now is to bring boats before the season closes in April, gotta love the enthusiasm of fishermen
Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Wallhanger

Ice on wabigoon has popped too....open water for all our shoreline. Walked out on the ice, still at least 12" of clear hard ice, but its going fast. Like others have said...good ice for a few days but getting on and off will be the issues, looks like i'm gonna be able to test my new I-Pilot before walleye close....AWESOME!

Now i have to keep an eye oon our new puppy......he's new to ice out!
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/a...IMG_1232-1.jpg

Last edited by Limeyangler; 03-20-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:10 AM
Slot Fish

I was out on Louis Lake just north of Sioux Lookout a bit and several of us headed out fishing with quads and sled, and I will say that it was some ugly ice out there, pressure holes everywhere, shoreines going quick, narrows opening, and the fishing wasnt good enought to stay out till dark so we called it early and probably a ice season over for now, when we returned to shore we had fun getting off with the ice breaking off at shore at the beach, so we screweed around for a few minutes loaded up and called her a hardwater season come and gone, now maybe we can get some early boat fishing if the weather keeps doing what shes doing
Old 03-22-2012, 07:24 AM
Keeper

I gave up on the hard water fishing on Tuesday, couldn't get on the ice that night ..

My boat is ready !!! Got her all set up yesterday .
We will most definitely will be open water fishing for Walleyes before the April 15th closer ..
Old 03-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Wallhanger

I heard someone fell through at Bear Narrows (Eagle Lake) today and his friends had to throw him a rope. It's pretty well all over.